thomas kelley 5YtjgRNTli4 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thomas kelley 5YtjgRNTli4 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

Disney/Pixar Movies that Celebrate Different Types of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

There are 8 different types of love. Despite being overshadowed by romantic love I think that every single one of them has the potential to be just as meaningful. One of my favorite Valentine’s day traditions is having a Disney movie marathon at the end of the day. Nothing says romance like a Disney movie. But, this year I decided to do something a little bit different. Instead of bingeing romance movies, I’m gonna pick Disney movies that focus on all types of love. Here’s my list:

Phelia-Affectionate Love

Monsters Inc features Mike and Sully who are one of my favorite best friend duos in the Disney world. Despite Monsters Inc being in a fictional world Sully and Mike’s friendship is realistic and wonderful to watch.

Pragma-Enduring Love

The Toy Story series has a focus on love that takes a while to create. It takes a minute for Woody and Buzz to become friends, Jessie to trust Woody and for Jessie and Buzz’s relationship to start. But, these relationships taking time to grow makes them a lot stronger and I absolutely love to watch the Toy Story gang’s friendship on-screen.

Storage-Familial Love

Lilo and Stitch is centered around non-traditional families. I absolutely love the family dynamic shown in the film.

Eros-Romantic Love

In my firm opinion, the live action Cinderella is the most romantic Disney movie. No, I will not take criticism. I’m so excited to watch it this Valentine’s Day.

Ludus-Playful Love

In The Little Mermaid, Ariel is literally a fish out of water for most of the film. Because of this she is constantly discovering new things Ariel adds a little fun to Eric’s palace. I feel like Eric and Ariel’s relationship is really playful and it’s perfect to describe Ludus.

Mania-Obsessive Love

The Hunchback of Notre Dame features the evil villain Frollo who is obsessed with Esmeralda. Although you can make the argument that Frollo is in lust with Esmeralda and not in love with her, the point is the same–nobody wants this type of love. But, I do like to watch it on screen.

Philautia-Self Love

Disney’s Hercules is an amazing representation of self-love. “Go the Distance” is basically a self-love anthem, and Hercules constantly works towards whatever is best for him. I absolutely adore this film. 

Agape-Selfless Love

One of the themes in Mulan is selflessness. Mulan fights for her country, her father, and for her friends. When she’s finally done Mulan decides that it’s time for her to go home to see her family again. Mulan is a selfless person who will go wherever anyone needs her.

No matter what you watch, or who you are with I hope you have an amazing Valentine’s day filled with Disney movies.

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.