This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

As a girl with thick, wavy/curly hair, I’ve gone through a LOT of hair products.  I used to straighten my hair every single day in the early years of high school, and it left my hair so damaged. I had to chop it off and start over, and since then I have been trying to embrace my natural hair and care for it better. It’s been a rollercoaster trying to find the right products that control my frizz, don’t weigh down my hair or make it greasy, nourish the hair, and define my curls.

Like I said, I’ve gone through a lot of products. I could probably buy a new car with how much money I’ve spent on them over the years. Okay no, that’s dramatic. Maybe a few pairs of Lululemon leggings. If your hair is anything like mine, I highly recommend giving these products a try. Some of these products are actually beneficial for many other hair types, too! They’ll have you feeling like Princess Mia (post-makeover, of course).

Eva NYC Therapy Sessions Hair Mask – $11.99 at Amazon

I honestly had never heard of this brand until a sample of this product came in one of my ipsy bags a few years ago. Once I tried it, I was hooked. I try to use it once a week; after conditioning my hair, I massage a little scoop of this into the ends of my hair (I avoid roots) and let it sit for 10 minutes before rinsing it out. Since it has argan oils and keravis protein in it, it leaves your hair feeling silky smooth once it’s rinsed. I love this product because I do still heat style my hair sometimes, and I feel like this helps to restore its strength and make it luscious. This is for ALL hair types; and if you don’t want to buy the tub of it, you can buy a smaller one for $5.99.

KMS California Tame Frizz Smoothing Lotion – $19 at Amazon

My hair stylist uses this on me every time she cuts or dyes my hair for several years now. It is pretty thick, so I use about a pea size amount of product and run it through the ends of my hair. The little bit of residue I gently run through my roots to tame frizz a little, but I try not to put too much product there. I love this product and it’s such a go-to for me, plus it smells great. It’s a little expensive, but it does last a while.

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish Butter Cream – $4.94 at Walmart

I have recently started using this leave-in conditioner, probably a few months ago. I have used Garnier Fructis’ Triple Nutrition shampoo and conditioner, so I figured the leave-in conditioner would be good too. I was right. Coconut, macadamia, and jojoba oils work to replenish the moisture in your hair, which is especially great for curly or dry hair. I put it in the ends of my hair after I get out of the shower and brush it through, and it doesn’t make my hair oily. Love it!

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioner – $2.97 at Walmart

Even iff you don’t have dry or curly hair, give this leave in conditioner a try. I religiously used this the same way I described above before I bought the Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish Butter Cream. It smells great and leaves your hair feeling silky smooth. (Side note: I have zero idea why it is cheaper than the Triple Nutrition Curl Nourish Butter Cream).

Schwarzkopf Göt2b Glued Blasting Freeze Spray – $4.22 at Walmart

So I’ve actually been using this hairspray since I was 13. I have yet to find one that I like better. Since I got my first can at 13, I’ve only ever had to buy a new can ONCE. It lasts FOREVER, but I also don’t use hairspray super often. For about a year, I could no longer find this in stores and I was devastated, but I can happily say I regularly see it again. A little spray goes a long way because this is super strong and you don’t want to overdo it and make your hair crunchy.

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum – $4.94 at Walmart

I discovered this product back when I used to straighten my hair religiously. It is an anti-frizz serum that also contains argan oil, which helps to moisturize dry hair. I think this product is the sole reason my heat-damaged hair didn’t look totally dead. I really only use this when I straighten my hair, even now, so I don’t know how it works otherwise. When I straighten my hair, I use a heat protector first, straighten my hair, then add maybe a dime size amount of this serum to my hair (NOT THE ROOTS), concentrating on the very ends of my hair too. Then I brush it through the ends and touch up any areas necessary with the straightener. I swear this makes it instantly look healthier and more finished, and I think it feels softer too.

While I have some other hair care products I like a lot, these are my tried-and-true, go-to products. Hopefully you’ll love them too!

Junior Biological Sciences major with an Honors concentration and Psychology minor. Photographer and researcher. Just a girl obsessed with Netflix, small animals, plants, and all things Pinterest. littletricksoflight.blogspot.com