Alamzeb Khan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Hey friends! Check out this weeks #CampusCelebrity, Alamzeb Khan, a sophomore biochem major who transferred here this semester! Only one semester in and Alam is already making big strides to make the best of his time here at Rowan. Check out his responses to the celebrity questions below!

1.       What made you transfer to Rowan University?

I was looking at colleges that interested me, and I saw that Rowan University had a good Biochemistry program. The professors are also highly qualified, and do research which I am very interested in. There’s also the Medical Schools that are part of the University, and since I want to pursue a career in medicine it was a good choice. The price being lower than most colleges was also a plus!

2.       What are you involved in on campus?

I’m involved in a few organizations and committees on campus. I’m a member of Rowan EMS, and am going to get my CPR certification so I will be able to actively ride on ambulances finally. I’m the Academic Senator for The College of Science and Mathematics with the Student Government Association, and I voice the concerns of all of the students that are in my college. I also go out of my way to pursue activism, and fix and face injustices on campus pertaining to anyone. I also am a member of the Muslim Student Association, Biochemistry Club, and attend Chabad events as well. I’m a member of the Diversity Committee, Academic Affairs Committee, and have been invited to join the Sexual Violence and Awareness Committee which I will be attending in the future.  I also volunteer whenever I can, for example I joined the Catholic Campus Ministry in making sandwiches for a battered women’s shelter earlier in the semester. If I see something interesting, or enlightening I usually try to attend and learn what I can.

3.       What made you choose these activities?

I love to be active, so I try to get as involved as I can in whatever will help to further the development of the school, students, and education. I want to help make a difference, and show my gratitude to Rowan University by being an activist and making sure that there’s justice on campus. I have experience in first aid, and medicine has always interested me so getting involved with Rowan EMS was the first thing that I did when I came to campus. Being involved in politics is another thing that interests me, I have an analytical mind which helps me to find solutions to issues that face the community. I am also a good public speaker, and I think that SGA is a good avenue to get my voice out there, making sure that justice prevails and no one is being trodden upon. Being involved in the committees is realistically the best way to make change, as those are the people that decide the programs to put in place and they are very open, listening to student suggestions as the student voice is the one that needs to be heard and our ideas will only help to further the school’s overall development. I also volunteer whenever I can, as being a Muslim I love giving back to the community and helping whoever I can in whatever capacity. Knowledge is power I believe, and leads to a healthy mental state as well as better understanding of your fellow humans.

4.       What difference do you hope to make on campus? In your home town?

I hope to make Rowan University an even better place than it is in terms of student involvement, fostering a more intellectual and scholarly curiosity in the students. I want to lower the graduation gap that currently exists between the African American and white population at the University, as well as go through the school’s rules and come up with resolutions to amend them so that students will be even more supportive. I have many ideas but all I need is the support! In my home town I am starting a chapter of Young Muslims, which is a group geared towards the youth’s development, and a support system amongst all of the young people so they won’t feel ostracized amongst the greater community in a time of much backlash against the Muslim community.  There is a large Muslim population in my home town, and growing up there allows me to understand the difficulties in the area. If I can help the younger kids to develop into the best, most kind people they can be then I will be perfectly content with that.

5.       Tell me about the things you are involved in back home (the camps, YM, etc.)

I’m involved in many Muslim organizations, the main one that I’m involved in is ICNA (Islamic Center of North America) and its sister organizations WhyIslam, Helping Hand, and finally the main one for me is Young Muslims.  I also volunteer with AMFHR (American Muslims For Hunger and Relief), doing the occasional soup kitchen or other event hosted by them. I became involved when I was eight years old, my father was part of ICNA and I was raised volunteering and helping out with events. I became a part of Young Muslims four years ago, ever since then have been in love with the organization and what it stands for. I don’t have any blood related brothers, but all of the guys become brothers even if you’ve only known someone for a couple days. I quickly became infamous due to my mischievous pranks, and made many friends through that. For the past two years I’ve helping to run the YM Brothers North East Retreat Camp, in which an average of 85-100 youth come out to have fun with many events while having a lecture every day about Islam and how to be a better person. I’m currently working with a team on getting the Retreat for this year all set up, and it will hopefully be a great and informational event!

6.       How has your experience as the Academic Senator for the College of Math and Science been so far? What steps have you taken to help the students at this college?

My experience as the Academic Senator for The College of Science and Mathematics has been rather enlightening to say the least. Although I will not be in the position next year, I am not upset because I believe I’ve learned what I can. It helped to expose me to the inner workings of school politics, and introduced me to the Committees that I’m currently a part of and will remain involved with. I actively reach out to students, going out of my way to make sure that their experiences at the school are positive and any issues they face are promptly addressed. The position itself is rather trivialized through the system, it has much potential but I don’t see a future with myself with the SGA and would rather work through more legitimate professional channels with Professors and faculty. I have become a good acquaintance with the Assistant Dean Dr. Sledjeski, and she has helped me through the Public Relations department within the CSM department to have more publicity and student outreach for the position. I’ve done the fullest in my capacity of what I can do, but I’m going to be focusing on the actual decision making groups, and first things first get students to actually come to the events which is the biggest issue facing the student community today! I have been putting programs together, and am trying to have many more collaborative events between groups to expand the diversity on campus. If I see or hear of a student in need of some help, I make sure that they’re accommodated and happy by the end of the situation.

7.       What do you hope to achieve (in general) by the time you graduate?

The biggest thing that I hope to achieve at Rowan University is to have a great GPA first and foremost. But extracurricular wise I will be very active promoting diversity, getting students to be very involved, and developing into highly functional adults that will give back to society. The current issue I believe is that students aren’t involved enough in anything, for example the democratic system is run by the people and for the people, and every subsidiary system that is based off of the system should be run in the same manner. A more professional environment needs to be fostered within student run groups, and if we all get more involved, a big change can be made and students will pass legislature in the college. Then they will be able to use that experience when they’re integrated tax-paying citizens to improve the system and be aware of the going on around them so no injustice will be happening around them! I also want to develop the Biochemistry Club into a great organization, and help move the EMT Squad into even further greatness.

8.       What are your plans for the future? Grad school? A career?

I plan on doing a dual degree program, I am aiming for a Medical Scientist Degree (MD/PhD) so I would be able to be a clinical practitioner as well as be able to delve into the research sciences which I’m quite passionate about. I have been learning more about Rowan SOM, and the DO/PhD and DO/JD programs are both very interesting to me. I’ve been thinking more about the DO/JD program specifically because I would be able to use my public speaking/debating skills to help people in a higher capacity due to all of my education from being both a Doctor of Osteopathy as well as a Juris Doctor (Lawyer). I will make my decision pending my research experience at Rowan, but I’m definitely leaning towards a more political aspect for my future.

9.       How much time do you spend involved in campus related business throughout the week?

I usually spend about four to five hours a week looking through issues at the college, as well as attending meetings and events to further my personal and educational development which will allow me to have a better understanding of issues facing the school. I meet with the Assistant Dean every two weeks or more depending on how many issues that I’m presented with from students. I am in a constant state of progression, and whenever I see any problems around me I try to come up with solutions on the spot and then write them down.

10.   What has been your biggest overcome struggle (related to academics or extracurricular activities) and how did this experience impact you? How did you overcome it?

This isn’t a very easy question, as my life has been rife with unfortunate incidents and violence. But I have learned from all of my hardships, and come out a stronger man because of it. As a Muslim, I turn to God for help, and just try to be the best person that I can be. Going through hard times has made me understand many of the harsh realities of the world, which makes me more understanding towards other people but assertive when I need to be. I was bullied when I was younger so I never let anyone around me get harassed or intimidated, and just want a better world for everyone.

11.   You were on appeal at Senate last week (3/28). Please give a brief summary on why you fought the appeal, and what you will do for the college of math and science should you be re-elected for next year.

I’m a man that stands for what I believe in, and never back down no matter who is accusing me of a wrongdoing. I had a table at the Academic Fair that all of the members of the Academic Affairs Committee were running. I printed out a flyer that said who I was, and on the bottom of the flyer that I myself printed out it stated “P.S: Don’t forget to vote for Alamzeb Khan for Academic Senator in the elections!”. The Elections committee which at the time did not even have a commissioner and was in disarray, within a mere two hours after the event emailed me that I was disqualified for breaking this rule: “Using university or campus resources for campaigning.” I found this to be an incorrect decision, and using the data and evidence I had gathered, I stated to the senate who was going to vote me back in that I believed there was negligence on the part of the committee and there wasn’t enough deliberation to make such a decision based off of a vague ruling. The senate agreed with my speech and decided to let me back in the race! I lost the race, even after the appeal; but I have no regrets as one does not need to be in any type of position to make a difference. It’s up to your will and care.

12.   What advice would you pass onto incoming freshman? To transfers? To anyone in a similar position as you?

Some advice I would give to incoming freshman is to pursue your passion, and stay focused. There’s going to be many obstacles in your path, and hardships that will make you want to give up; but persevere no matter the situation. Your future is now in your hands. You will surely have fun in college, but don’t go wild because that’s the easiest thing to do. Join clubs, get involved with whatever interests you and be yourself! College is a time to learn and grow, the freedom can be enlightening or degradative to your development.

To my fellow transfers, don’t be intimidated! Just because you’re going into a new place doesn’t mean you’ll be the odd man out. Everyone else loves to make friends, be nice and don’t change yourself to “fit in”. You’ll find your niche in some group, but don’t close the doors to anything, always learn and keep moving. Stay active in clubs and reach out to people to get involved and try to make a change! I just transferred to Rowan this spring, but I have already made many friends and love the environment here. Keep striving to do great, and pursue your dreams with gusto!

I've never really been good at writing biographies, so here is a quick list of facts about me instead! My favorite Disney movie is The Little Mermaid I rode my bike into a pole when I was eight York Peppermint Patties are my favorite chocolate Walking in the rain is my favorite thing to do (when it's raining, of course) Snakes absolutely terrify the crap out of me. Have a happy day! P.S Live to love, love to live!