7 Tips For Getting the Most Out of Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I’ve had two internship experiences at college and both were great and helped me grow professionally. But showing up and doing what you’re told is not enough. To be a really good intern and get the most out of your internship you’ll want to go the extra mile. 

1. Get to know your advisor and communicate well. 

Do not hesitate to ask questions or follow up about something you were told to do. It’s always better to create a strong realtionship with your advisor at your internship to show you really want to learn and can communicate well. 

2. Talk to the other interns and workers.

You may feel a little out of place but teamwork skills and a friendly personality are a big deal in an office. It’s not just about your skills but also how you are with other people. 

3. Ask the person who has your ideal job at your internship to lunch. 

This way you can learn about the responsibilities you could take on one day and get to know this person on a personal level. Friend them on LinkedIn after so they can be a reference in the future. 

4. Network and develop your customer service skills. 

Be friendly to people who come into the office and offer to help them even if you don’t know how. Don’t be afraid to answer the phone if your advisor asks you to. Being helpful and pleasant to people outside the office reveals a lot about how you deal with spontaneous situations. 

5. Ask to shadow a few departments. 

Even if you were only hired as an intern for the public relations department, ask to talk to someone that has a different job. You may discover something else you are really interested in. 

6. Keep a log about your internship. 

You will want to look back at all your hard work and remember all the things you accmplished. Also it’s important to keep track of what you did so you can talk about your expereince on an interview for a future job. 

7. Ask your advisor for resume, cover letter and job searching advice. 

It makes sense. Whoever you reported to for your internship knows you well by the time the semester is over and they want to help you succeed. Print out a copy of your current resume and an example of a cover letter so they can give you feedback. After all, they know what they would be looking in a candidate so who better to ask?