women wearing cozy earth tone clothese?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
women wearing cozy earth tone clothese?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration for Her Campus Media

7 Microagressions You Might be Saying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

To the everlasting credit of my Women’s and Gender Studies minor, I have been more conscious of my actions. When I first declared myself a proud feminist I found myself supporting causes that directly impacted me. However, as I began to learn about intersectionality I realized that feminism supports all people and, as a feminist, I had to support more causes across the board. Part of this support is educating yourself on certain vocabulary, and microaggressions that you might be taking part in.  

“I don’t see color!”

These words are nice in theory but, it erases a person’s culture. A person’s race and ethnicity are often an integral part of their identity. It’s important that instead of erasing this part of a person that you assure them that you believe in equity for everyone.

“But you seem normal to me!”

This is a statement that applies to a person with mental illness or a person with a disability. Telling someone that they look “normal” isn’t only erasing their disability or mental illness but it’s also offensive to people who have visible signs of disability or mental illness.

“You are cute for a trans girl/guy!”

Being trans and being attractive isn’t a mutually exclusive thing. You don’t have to be cisgendered to be attractive.

“So what are you?”

This statement completely others another person. Not only is the scrutiny of someone’s race uncomfortable but it’s often rude to ask a person “what they are”.

“Your English is so good!’

When you say this you are basically telling someone that you don’t expect them to speak English very well…which is really racist.

“You don’t look LGBTQ+”

What does a gay person look like? By saying this you adopting certain stereotypes about a massive group of people.

Act like a Lady

Why does a woman have to act like a woman? Before you say this examine what traits you want this person to embody and why it’s so necessary that they do. More than likely it’s routed in internalized sexism.

Part of being an advocate is constantly allowing yourself to learn! Before you speak make sure that your words don’t have a negative impact on groups of people!

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.