This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

How could I feel this alone? A question I had often asked myself after I got dropped off at college to start my freshman year. Everyone had told me in the months leading up to move-in day that these next four years would be “the best time of my life” and that I would make so many new friends. Well, let me tell you something: after I got dropped off at school, I thought those statements could not be further from the truth.

I had felt utterly alone and confused as to why I thought leaving everything I had ever known would be a good idea. I had spent my first few days at college with that negative mentality. However, as the days went on I realized maybe college wasn’t so bad after all. I had seen groups of people laughing and talking together, which is when I decided that I had wallowed in my sadness long enough and it was time to start making the so called “college experience” worthwhile. After all I did not spend thousands of dollars and drive two hours to just sit in a small-constricted room and cry.

My third day at Rowan, I took many chances and they really paid off in the end, so much so that I turned them into tips for incoming freshman in college. Here are six ways to make the best of your college experience.

1. Walk up to someone and introduce yourself. Just do it. I know it seems terrifying; but trust me, five seconds of courage is all it takes to make at least one new friend.

2. Attend your school’s club fair. At the fair, write your name down for any club that seems to interest you and go to the first meeting. It is a great way to get involved and meet new people.

3. Don’t be afraid to go places alone. It is extremely likely that while you’re out and about, you will run into another person who is alone and is looking to make a new friend.

4. Go out of your comfort zone. If you are more introverted, participate in class. Unsure if you want to join a sports team or get involved with Greek life? Sign up for it.

5. Ask questions, whether it is that you are confused on where a building is on campus or about an assignment in class. Most people are very friendly and are willing to help you.

6. Walk the campus. Familiarize yourself with the buildings around you so that when it’s time to meet up with friends or go to class, you won’t feel as nervous or scared.

I did all of these things my first week at Rowan, and I am so happy I did because they led me to begin to feel comfortable at school. Leaving everything I had ever known paid off to be a great thing. If you try to follow at least one of these tips, it will make first semester freshman year that much easier.  

Hello! I am a freshman at Rowan University studying Elementary Ed and English. I hope you enjoy my writing!
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.