This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Legally Blonde is my favorite movie. Ever since I was a child I always looked up to Elle Woods’ intelligence and kindness. As I grew older and became more aware of the intricacies of intersectional feminism I realized that the movie isn’t perfect by any means. However, I firmly believe that Elle Woods was ahead of her time and still can be considered a feminist icon. Here are all the reasons why Elle is the feminist hero that we deserve.

Elle proves that femininity is powerful.

Throughout the movie, Elle is often underestimated because she is traditionally feminine. However, Elle proves that someone who is traditionally feminine can be intelligent, driven and a force to be reckoned with.

Elle believes in the power of sisterhood.

One of my favorite things about Elle is that she believes in the power of female friendships. During the movie, Elle refuses to tell Brooke’s alibi because it would break the bonds of sisterhood. I feel like this shows the importance that Elle puts on female friendships.

Elle also believes in empowering other women.

Throughout the movie, Elle constantly supports other women. The scene where Elle helps Paulette get her dog back was so empowering. Between that scene and the bend and snap Elle proves that she is willing to help other women as much as possible.

Elle’s response to sexual harassment is so empowering.

It’s important to note that there isn’t a “good” way to respond to sexual harassment. Victims aren’t entitled to empower themselves or act in any sort of way after harassment. But, Elle taking over Callahan’s trial and presumably getting him fired is absolutely admirable. I could see Elle fighting tirelessly to support survivors during the modern era.

Elle refuses to let a man come between female relationships.

Although Elle and Vivian are in the middle of a love triangle and Vivian was constantly mean to her, Elle refuses to stoop down to her level. In fact, Elle even befriends Vivian at the end of the movie. 

Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.