10 Things You Might Not Know About Birth Control Pills

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Birth control pills seem like a great idea. You pop one in your mouth at the same time every day, and voila! — you’re worry-free, protected, and maybe even experience less acne, milder cramps, and shorter periods.

The oral contraceptives may save you from some daunting aspects of your menstrual cycle, but it has its own costs. Here are 10 underlying side effects that doctors don’t always discuss with you:

1. You may spot for a month straight. Since you are technically feeding your body synthetic hormones, it may freak out for a bit, causing spotting for as long as a month (maybe even more!) When I first went on the pill, I spotted the entire pack until the placebo week, when your period is supposed to come. Don’t fret — it’s totally normal and even expected!
  2. You may experience some minor nausea. Because of the change in hormone levels, you may notice that you feel some nausea within the first few months of your pill. However, taking it at night or after a meal can help; and eventually, as your body gets used to it, you shouldn’t have this issue anymore.
  3. You may gain (or lose) weight. Many people tend to experience weight changes when starting the pill, with most people gaining a few pounds. Some may even go up a bra size! However, there are some who lose weight, or simply stay the same, instead.
  4. Your cortisol levels may increase. When I recently got blood work done, my endocronologist alerted me that I had far too much cortisol in my blood, which can affect the body in many ways. Cortisol, or the “stress hormone,” can cause digestive issues and lower your immune system, making you more susceptible to contracting viruses or infections. Of course, I panicked, wondering what the cause was (Disclosure: do not Google elevated cortisol levels — you may be convinced you have some fatal illness.) But when I stopped my birth control pills, as directed, the levels dropped dramatically over the course of just one month. 
  5. Your libido may decrease. Unfortunately, the pill can kill your sex drive. I know — what a bummer! This does not happen to everyone, and some only experience a slight change.
  6. Your acne may get worse before it gets better. Before the pill, I had relatively normal breakouts on my face — nothing extreme, but it was still prevalent. However, that first month made me break out like I just started puberty. It eventually cleared up my skin, however, once I adjusted to the hormones. In fact, many people with acne problems go on the pill for that very reason.
  7. You may get more headaches. If you’re someone who struggles with frequent headaches, then you might notice an increase on the pill, especially during or around your period.
  8. You may experience emotional issues. People with anxiety, depression or mental health problems are likely to experience their normal symptoms with more severity. Additionally, those who do not normally have these issues may develop them while taking the pill. 
  9. You may be at higher risk for blood clots. This is a more serious side effect, one that should be talked over with your doctor and kept under surveillance.
  10. Your blood sugar may increase. Another side effect I experienced was increased blood sugar. This is concerning for those who are pre-diabetic or already have diabetes; you should mention this to your doctor as well if you this concerns you.

It’s always important to sit down and talk with your doctor before deciding if the pill is right for you and to monitor any serious side effects you may experience.

*This article is in collaboration with Her Campus Stockton. Check out their article The Cost of Your Period.”

I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.