I’m Terrified to Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Ever since I was little, I was determined to get a higher education. When I was 8, I made an email address that ended in 08-12-16. The year 2008 was for my 8th grade graduation; 2012 was for high school and 2016 was because I knew I would finish college. I was 8 years old in 2002, so all three of those dates seemed light-years away.

Here I am in 2016, finished. 8-year-old me did not plan ahead for this. My graduation date in 2016 was all I had accounted for. What do I do now? This is the moment I worked so hard for.  All of the tears and sleepless nights were leading up to this very moment. The moment I walk across the stage, shake the President’s hand and grab my (empty) diploma holder.

When I think about it, this is really the first time I had no plan and am facing real uncertainty. I had been thinking about what was to come in a hypothetical sense. “I’m going to get a job in marketing. I’m going to travel the world. I’m going to make bank.”  The future never felt real, until right now. It feels very real.

I’m terrified. This fear is understandable. I have to get a real job. I have to pay bills. I have to finally answer Sallie Mae when she calls. I was so busy making the last 4 years “the best years of my life” that I didn’t prepare myself to launch into the next 80 years.

So after talking to my mom (because no matter how adult you are, moms know everything), she told me although understandable, this stress is unnecessary. Although it was simple, she gave me the best advice of my life. Let me enlighten you on what she told me.

Graduates, we are all 20-something year old people. We have our entire lives ahead of us. Yes, childhood, high school and college life was great. Although we are inheriting unwanted responsibility with our degree, we are gaining this new freedom we have never felt before. Over the next few years, we will see our hard work paying off. You will get that dream job. You will get that promotion. You will be able to take your first trip out of the country.

Instead of only focusing on our fear, we should take that fear and run with it. Embrace the uncertainty. “Some of the most important chapters in our lives wont have a title until much later.” Bob Goff said that. Our life is just beginning and it’s going to be awesome.

So about graduation day; it’ll be perfect. I bought my stole, ironed my gown, earned my cords and medals. I’m going to walk across that stage with so much uncertainty and even more excitement for the future.

All of the 2016 graduates should feel proud. We freaking did it!

TBD