HC Presents: Courtney Tenner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

As you rush to classes you pass by many faces. Some familiar, in which case you may say hello or smile sheepishly and continue your path, and the rest simply just go unnoticed. Well, I am here to introduce to you: Courtney Tenner. Courtney is a very sweet, smart, family orientated, and funny gal I had the pleasure to meet and interact with for a little over a year now.

Courtney is currently 22 years old, and her birthday is on August 25th.  She currently lives in Schaumburg and resided there for most of her life. Courtney chose to be an English major with a minor in creative writing in hopes to one day write children and teen books that revolve around the life of disabled kids and teens. Furthermore, she is a huge believer in breaking the stigma that disabled people deal with.  Here is a little more about who Courtney is:

What are your hobbies and/or interests?

Well, you are gonna think I’m weird, but I like to go camping. I also really enjoy reading and watching T.V. I consider myself kind of a bookworm. (laughs)

What are three words that describe you?

Hm. There’s a lot (laughs). I guess friendly, funny, and talkative.

Favorite Movie?

I have a lot, but my most favorite is Father of the Bride part 2. It’s my favorite because I grew up watching it.  I can probably recite the whole script (laughs) that’s how many times I’ve watched it.

Favorite song?

Oh, this is a hard question too (laughs). I guess lately it’s the song footloose because I just listened to it over the summer repeatedly. It all started because in the camp ground I go to they would play it, so it just got stuck in my head.

How would you describe your personal style?

I think it all depends on my mood (laughs). I can be girly or just wear sweatpants and a t-shirt, ya know something comfortable.

Do you pay attention to fashion trends?

Yeah, I’m into fashion. I would say I’m like a fashion critic because I always tell my mom what I think looks best for her if not to go get something else (laughs).

Do you have a favorite store or brand? If so what are they?

Not really. I like cute clothes, but not pay ridiculous prices for them. So if I see something cute and in my price range, I might buy it.

What’s a must have item for you?

My kindle because I like to read all the time.

Why did you choose your major?

Because I have an imagination that runs wild and I know I could use it to write- and maybe- create kids books.

Dream job?

To write kids and teen books.

Do you have plans for after graduation? If so what are they?

At the time I’m not sure because I just changed my major from Journalism to English, so I’ll be here a little while more.

Why did you choose RU?

I took one look at the campus and I just knew that I wanted to come here. I just felt a good vibe when I first saw it.

What is your favorite thing about Roosevelt?

My favorite things are the friendships I’ve established and the professors.

What’s one thing you would like to see Roosevelt improve?

I would like Roosevelt to be more handicap accessible. An example is an easier access from Wabash to the Auditorium building, and making all doors automatic.

Any campus involvement?

Not as of right now.  

What social cause matters most to you?

Some social causes are advocating about individuals with disabilities and Epilepsy awareness.

Why is this important to you?

This is important to me because I personally struggle with them, so I know both aspects.

What would you like others to know/understand about this cause?

I would want to destigmatize those who fall in these categories and let others know that these stigmas aren’t true and we don’t all fall under one category.

What are your thoughts so far on the Presidential Election?

I think that in this election it is very important to think not just about ourselves but to consider what is best for the whole country when we cast our vote.

What causes are important to you for the upcoming Presidential election?

I would like to see change in the stigmatizing of people with disabilities and change within the higher education system in regards to student debt crisis.