A Guide to Chicago’s Most Eclectic Bookstores

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

The bookstore: a dying art due to the electronic convenience of paperbacks along with the phenomenon of ‘Netflix and chill’. A great number of my classmates and colleagues only visit a bookstore for textbooks if they absolutely need them or, on the off chance, there is a Starbucks in the closest Barnes & Noble. The smell of books should evoke a sense of wonder. Startling stories full of detail and unfamiliarity are just waiting for you to fall into them. So I’ve compiled a list of places worthy of your time. These bookstores shall not disappoint a reader in search of an eclectic find or even just an imaginary getaway. So go ahead, read my list. It’ll be a little prep work for the next great novel you’re about to find.

57th Street Books                > 1301 E. 57th St.                            >773-684-1300

Why you should go: A bookstore in a basement where “the book is always better than the movie”, this Hyde Park location won’t disappoint those looking for a place to escape. Even the staff has recommendations for the undecided reader!

Barbara’s Bookstore      > 111 N. State St.              >312-781-3033

> 233 E. Wacker Dr.         >312-466-0223

> 1218 S. Halsted St.         >312-413-2665

Why you should go: Barbara’s is independently owned and they host weekly book readings with ice cream available.

Bookworks                           > 444 N. Clark St.                           >773-871-5318

Why you should go: Used books! Records! CDs! Art! Photography! Jazz! Philosophy! Beat literature! Chicago history! They buy used books, too.

Chicago Comics                     >3244 N. Clark St.                        >773.528.1983

Why you should go: Get your zines. Get your comics. Need I say more?

Graham Crackers Comics    >77 E. Madison St.                        >312.629.1810

Why you should go: You won’t know what to do with their collection of Doctor Who stuff. And they specialize in comics done by local artists!

Myopic Books                    >1564 N. Milwaukee Ave.                 >773.862.4882

Why you should go: This tri-level bookstore has an assortment of sections ranging from biographies to science fiction. Look out for small surprises such as inscriptions and Dalek stickers on random wooden planks and book carts that litter the shop. Plus, they’re open until 11pm every night of the week – this satisfies the college student schedule quite nicely.

Powell’s     >2850 N. Lincoln Ave.          >773.248.1444

>1501 E. 57th St.                   >773.955.7780

>1218 S. Halsted St               >312.243.9070

Why you should go: You can get lost in the Hagrid-height stacks and a shout out to the secret academic: they primarily specialize in scholarly books! But there’s also a rather large general interest section, so bring a friend!

Quimby’s Bookstore           >1854 W. North Ave.                       >773.342.0910

Why you should go: This place will quench your thirst for out of the ordinary titles and underground zines, along with “saucy comic booklets and assorted fancies.” I would recommend this bookstore for a first date.

Sandmeyer’s Books            >714 S. Dearborn                              >312-922-2104

Why you should go: Support a friendly family run bookshop! Not only does the organization make for an easy find for any title you’re looking for (I found a righteous analysis of Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar the last time I went) but they’ve got rustic wooden floors that will satisfy your pastoral cravings.

Unabridged Books            >3251 N. Broadway St.                       >773.883.9119

Why you should go: This shop has been thriving since 1980! With a great LGBT section and awesome hand-written recommendations from the staff you’ll be able to navigate this one with nothing less than a love-struck awe across your face.

Originally hailing from northern Wisconsin, McKenna is a double major in Philosophy and English with a concentration in creative writing. She is passionate about reading and writing all things sci fi.