alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fun Summer Activities Worth Checking Out in Chicago

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

In a city like Chicago, it is hard to be bored, especially now that warmer weather is upon us and the school year is coming to a close. Of course, there are plenty of typical summer activities to do in Chicago such as going to the beach and enjoying the summer weather, but there are also a lot of unique things to do as well. That being said, here are a few ideas of what a college student can do with their newly found free time during the summer months:

Lincoln Park Zoo: While the zoo is open year-round, it’s best to take advantage of it during the summer months, especially since admission is free. The Lincoln Park Zoo is one of the oldest in the country, and has over 1200 animals representing 230 species.

Millennium Park Summer Film Series: Why watch movies cooped up inside when you can watch them in Millennium Park and enjoy the weather? June 21 starts the Millennium Park Summer Film series held at Pritzker Pavilion. Movies are projected on a 40-foot LED screen starting at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays until August 30. The first movie to be screened in “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” which is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. Some other highlights include “A League of Their Own,” “West Side Story” and “Purple Rain.” Additionally, Chicagoans will be able to vote for which movie they would like to see as the finale to the series.

Fourth of July Fireworks: Head to Navy Pier or take to the lake to celebrate the Fourth of July with a fireworks show. Aside from the Fourth of July, there are bi-weekly fireworks shows held at the Pier starting Memorial Day. Nothing screams summer quite like fireworks, so these are a show you do not ant to miss.

Daley Plaza Farmers Market: Starting on May 12, students can take advantage of the Daley Plaza Farmers market on Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. The market offers all sorts of fresh and local produce including honey, flowers and seasonal jams. However, the Daley Plaza Farmers Market is not the only farmers market in the city; there are other markets scattered throughout the city’s various neighborhoods including Uptown, Pilsen, Bronzeville and more.

Chicago Botanic Garden: The Chicago Botanic Garden is truly an underrated gem, which is perhaps due to the fact that it lies just outside Chicago in Glencoe. However, the garden is easily assessable by public transport, making it a worthwhile day trip. The Chicago Botanic Garden is a 385-acre living plant museum that features many special events during the summer months, including live music. Like the Lincoln Park Zoo, admission is free.

Grant Park Music Festival: Lollapalooza’s lesser known cousin, the Grant Park Music festival is one of the only free classical music concert series of its kind in he country. Starting on June 15, the Grant Park Music Festival offers ten weeks of classical music at Pritzker Pavilion. Season highlights include Mussorgsky’s “Pictures at an Exhibition,” Dvořák’s “New World Symphony” and Beethoven’s “Symphony No.1.”

West Fest: Perhaps not as notable as Lollapalooza and Pitchfork is West Fest, a street festival located in the West Town neighborhood. The festival features live music and street vendors, and is organized by the West Town Chamber of Commerce. West Fest is a two-day festival which starts on July 11. Aside from a $5 suggested donation, the festival is free-of-charge, with all proceeds benefitting the West Town Chamber of Commerce, as well as other local charities.

Photos courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Rachel Popa is a college Junior majoring in Journalism and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. She is a self-descibed "Hobbit" living in the big city of Chicago. Her passions include (but are not limited to) books, writing, "Game of Thrones," caffinated beverages and corgis. Feel free to follow her on Twitter at @_poparazzi, or drop her a line at rachelpopa@hercampus.com.