This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Lupita Carrasquillo, 20, by way of Chicago, IL can be spotted throughout Roosevelt University enacting the social justice mission  with RISE, offering a helping hand in the Academic Success Center as a Peer Mentor, or mingling with new students she met while working as a Head Orientation Leader. The Her Campus Roosevelt Chapter invites you to meet the well-known social justice major and join RISE as they promote the #studentsfirst campaign.

Year: JuniorMajor: Social Justice / WGSHometown: ChicagoZodiac Sign: GeminiFavorite Color: Purple

Fun Fact: I have a plant named Leon after the hitman from my favorite movie The Professional. Watch it and thank me later.

Relationship Status: Single *winky face*

Feminist?: To the bone! More specifically Queer Chicana Feminist. 

Favorite thing about Roosevelt University? The inspirational people I’ve met, whether they be students, faculty or staff.

Favorite Professor? This is so hard, because Ive been blessed with so many amazing ones, but I have to say Bethany Barratt, her support as RISE faculty advisor has been priceless and she is an amazing ally to students.

What made you choose social justice as a major?

I changed my major 4 times before choosing Social Justice…or before it chose me. I wanted to learn about systems of oppression to better understand how to dismantle them and reclaim power for people.

Can you share your proudest moment as an activist/political organizer within RISE? There are so many! The events, protests, trips have been incredible but what makes me most proud is the times when my family tells me they saw me on tv or in a newspaper. It creates a conversation about issues we wouldnt normally talk about. My family is a huge part of why i do this work and to have them show support and wamt to know more makes me extremely proud. *dont cry dont cry dont cry*

What has your experience working as a peer mentor taught you? Asking for help is empowering and not at all a sign of weakness. Some accomplishments arent measurable. Everyone is good at something. My coworkers are heroic in their efforts to help others and everyone should know them.

What does the Roosevelt social justice mission mean to you? If getting an education leads to a better quality of life, RUs mission means students should have equal access to educational opportunities and resources because regardless of their background, they too deserve the benefits of pursuing higher ed.

Is it still alive? Definitely, although higher ed its under attack by corporate power, the Roosevelt University community lives this mission and sees why its important to protect our values. The mission lives as long as we continue to fight for the kind of institution we deserve.

What advice do you give to college women? Define yourself, know that you deserve to be treated with respect not because you are a female but because you are a human. Never see your fellow sisters as competition. And know that theres much more to being a woman than whats between your legs.

Any fashion advice: Proportions! Layers are key especially in the Winter. Dress for yourself, embrace your inner Beyonce and take some risks with your outfits.

Near future goals: Pass these midterms, spend more time with my family, have a successful on campus campaign (#RUStudentsFirst), go to the counseling center regularly.

Far future goals: Prioritize self care, build power, travel, never stop fighting for myself and others, and most of all, remember where i came from no matter where life takes me.

The #RUStudentsFirst Campaign was started by RISE members in the Fall of 2014 in effort to address issues faced by the Roosevelt University student body around financial aid, including the infamous purge. RISE and allies believe in an institution with a social justice mission should prioritize all members of its community especially its students, even in the face of financial challenges. For more information, join them at their campaign event on October 28th at 5pm in AUD 320.  

PHOTO CREDIT: Kristen Rosario