Campus Celebrity: Joshua M. Hicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Joshua M. Hicks

This weeks Rooosevelt University Campus Celebrity is Joshua, a senior studying journalism. He is the Vice President of Black Student Union, a mentor for Black Male Leadership Academy and a member of Proclaim Gospel Choir. Apart from RU, Hicks is also busy singing in a youth ensemble called the Free Worshippers and an anchor for his church’s Youth Movement Network while also working for Jerry Thomas Public Relations and The Rewind Sports show. You can find the busy leader smiling and performing on November 20th at Loyola University with Proclaim Gospel Choir. 

Hometown: Oswego, IL

Favorite Color: Red

Zodiac Sign: Cancer

Fun Fact: I have gone on two mission trips to Gallup, NM and Uganda, Africa

Relationship Status: Taken

Favorite thing about yourself: Having good and intelligent conversations and gaining wisdom from experienced people in life.

Favorite on-campus role: I would say mentoring with the Black Male Leadership Academy. To be able to interact with young high school students and help provide wisdom as a guidence tool to help them succeed in society is an honor and privelege. 

Favorite moment of being a mentor? Teaching the students but also gaining knowledge from them. They taught me that no matter the background, we can fight together and reach the goal of breaking down the negative stereotype of a black man.

Do you have a mentor? Professor John Fountain. My passion for journalism grew from him and everything that he has taught me.

Why Journalism? I have a passion for talking facts about sports, being able to debate about them and ofcourse play. 

How does it feeel to be BSU President? It is an honor. Not many people are blessed to serve in the postition that I am in. I embrace my role in working to make a positive influence in the black community inside and outside of Roosevelt University.

What is the best advice you have ever recieved? “Your attitute will take you places your talent cannot” – Horace Maxiell 

You are very busy, what keeps you going? God and the support of my family, especially my mom and friends.

Where do you see yourself after graduating? Employment in either PR or journalism broadcasting.

Short term goals? Work, find my own place, save money, give back to the community, and stay active in the church.

Long term goals? Go to grad school, have a family, and instill the same attributes that my family instilled into the man I have become today.