- Name: Deion Ownes
- Age: 22
- Major: English and Secondary Education
- Hometown: Chicago
- Hobbies/interests: Reading, Adventuring, and Hanging with Friends
- Why did you choose your major?
“I chose my major because I have had a love for reading and writing since a young age. I want to share my passion with students to inspire them to learn to love it as well.”
- What are your plans after graduation?
“Upon graduation, I want to go to Stanford or UChicago to pursue my master’s degree in educational leadership and policy.”
- Why did you choose RU?
“I chose RU because of its commitment to social justice.”
- What is your favorite thing about Roosevelt?
“How accepting of a culture there is. Students feel respected and appreciated, and everyone knows the importance of cultural understanding and allowing people to be different.”
- Any campus involvement?
“Black Student Union President.”
- What has been your favorite RU event?
“When they brought the cast of Kids for Cash to the library. I am very into the school prison pipeline, so I found it intriguing.”
- What social cause matters most to you?
“Social Justice- Helping Black and Brown students maximize their potential and matriculate into college. I want to help mend missing necessities needed in students’ lives to not allow them to be another statistic or live out stereotypes.”
- Are you a feminist?
“No. I’m a womanist.”
- What causes are important to you for the upcoming Presidential election?
“Everything. I’m lost as to what our nation is really coming to. I fear so much, but I am doing my best to ensure that minority communities are no longer becoming more hindered.”
- How would you describe your personal style?
“Depends on the day: very versatile. On weekdays, very business casual with a sheik twist. On weekends, very sheik.”
- What are your favorite stores and brands?
“Topman. Zaran. Asos. Express. Thrifting. I also like to have friends design some of any clothing.”
- What’s your favorite item in your closet?
“My Topman sweater. All black and to the calf. I slay every time I put it on.”