Campus Celebrity: Deion Owens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

General Info

• Name: Deion Ownes             
  • Age: 22
  • Major: English and Secondary Education
  • Hometown: Chicago
  • Hobbies/interests: Reading, Adventuring, and Hanging with Friends

School

• Why did you choose your major?

“I chose my major because I have had a love for reading and writing since a young age. I want to share my passion with students to inspire them to learn to love it as well.”

• What are your plans after graduation?

“Upon graduation, I want to go to Stanford or UChicago to pursue my master’s degree in educational leadership and policy.”

• Why did you choose RU?

“I chose RU because of its commitment to social justice.”

• What is your favorite thing about Roosevelt?

“How accepting of a culture there is. Students feel respected and appreciated, and everyone knows the importance of cultural understanding and allowing people to be different.”

• Any campus involvement?

“Black Student Union President.”

• What has been your favorite RU event?

“When they brought the cast of Kids for Cash to the library. I am very into the school prison pipeline, so I found it intriguing.”

Social Causes

• What social cause matters most to you?

“Social Justice- Helping Black and Brown students maximize their potential and matriculate into college. I want to help mend missing necessities needed in students’ lives to not allow them to be another statistic or live out stereotypes.”

• Are you a feminist?

“No. I’m a womanist.”

• What causes are important to you for the upcoming Presidential election?

“Everything. I’m lost as to what our nation is really coming to. I fear so much, but I am doing my best to ensure that minority communities are no longer becoming more hindered.”

Style

• How would you describe your personal style?

“Depends on the day: very versatile. On weekdays, very business casual with a sheik twist. On weekends, very sheik.”

• What are your favorite stores and brands?

“Topman. Zaran. Asos. Express. Thrifting. I also like to have friends design some of any clothing.”

• What’s your favorite item in your closet?

“My Topman sweater. All black and to the calf. I slay every time I put it on.”