Campus Celebrity: Carlita Kelly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Meet the campus celebrity of the week, and our very own Campus Correspondent, Carlita Kelly! This girl is the ultimate go-getter, and a complete boss at life. She is sweet, smart, funny, and insanely talented. She is not only the co-founder and Campus Correspondent to the Her Campus – Roosevelt team, but she is also a deeply involved sorority member, an intern for an up-and-coming business, and she loves to dance! If you don’t already know her, then you are missing out! So find her and introduce yourself!

General Info

• Name: Carlita

• Age: 21

• Major: Business Marketing & Integrated Marketing Communications

• Hometown: Chicago

• Hobbies/interests: Dance

School

• Why did you choose your major?

I was initially an Accounting major. It was okay, I just knew I wouldn’t be happy not being in a creative field. I switched to marketing because it was visual and I could venture into different industries with it.

• What are your plans after graduation?

Probably going to go to Grad School & get my MBA. Eventually I want to start my own Business.

• Why did you choose RU?

I had to stay in the city. I love the city. Wherever I end up in life, it’ll have to be in a big city; tall buildings, face pace and everything is walking distance. Plus, they had a very modern interior, which was important to me and I got a bunch of scholarships.

• Any campus involvement?

I’m a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, The National Honors Society of Collegiate Scholars and Her Campus! I also am the Student Trustee and serve on the Student Government Association.

• What has been your favorite RU event?

Not to be biased, but my all time favorite RU event was Homecoming 2014. It was the first time I felt like I was an adult in the city. It was cocktail style, there were servers, music and a bar. It was at Trump Towers (before we knew he was such a bigot) and I planned it as a part of the SPEED Board 2014-2015.

Social Causes

• What social cause matters most to you?

I have recently become a huge advocate for Black Lives Matter. I hate violence and guns in general scare me, so I love this group that advocates for justice for all people, emphasizing people of color.

The Chicago protesters are such role models. They demonstrate downtown and in the south side communities. They do it peacefully while still getting their message across loud and clear.

• Are you a feminist?

For sure. It’s just like Black Lives Matters. The title highlights a highly oppressed group of individuals while still advocating for equality and non-prejudice practices.

• What causes are important to you for the upcoming Presidential election?

I’m always interested to hear candidates’ opinions on gun control, immigration and taxing the rich. The Planned Parenthood debates have also been curious.

Style

• How would you describe your personal style?

I honestly love simple things (colors and style). My favorite colors are pink, gold, white and black; but I also like mixing in grey and neutrals. I don’t like a lot of embellishments or designs. – Keeping it simple.

• What are your favorite stores and brands?

Brands: I love Kate Spade, Vince Camuto, Steve Madden, Nike and

Stores: TopShop, BCBG, H&M, Akira, Zara, and Urban Outfitters

…OMG Shopping.

• What’s your favorite item in your closet?

Seriously? Lol. I think it’s going to have to be my grey Vince Brigham Open Toe Booties.

Celebrity Status

I’m super involved on campus and I have a bunch of different internships and volunteer jobs. My biggest piece of advice is to get involved in whatever you can in college. It’s the best time to try things out to see what you like and what you don’t. You can explore your major and see if it is what you want to do for the rest of your life. If you’re anything like me, you’ll change your major from Accounting to Marketing after one accounting club meeting.

It’s hard to juggle all these responsibilities. The work load is a lot but if you prioritize, you’ll be fine. You learn a lot about yourself and accountability. Plus, your resume is super lengthy by the time you graduate!