7 Tips for the Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

According to a 2010 report by the National Association for College Admission Counseling, about one third of college students will transfer to another school during their time as an undergraduate. Okay, so you’re not new to college. But you’re starting out on a new campus, in a new city, and you probably don’t know anyone yet. Here are a few tips to go from transfer to transcendentalist.

1.     Get involved!

Check out what your university has to offer! Scout out student orgs! This will help you to transition more successfully and feel more like a part of this new community. You don’t have to be a part of the campus newspaper, but you could hang out with that ultimate Frisbee team that meets on Fridays.

2.     Dorms are just fine! 

You are going to make friends while in school regardless. But living in the dorms offers a close-knit community that most commuters don’t get. You can always decide to live off campus.

3.     Make friends with the locals

Keep an open mind and make friends with students who grew up around the area. They can give you more inside advice and tell you the best places to get ice cream.

4.     Talk to professors 

Start some kind of rapport with your instructors now; it’s never too late to strike up a conversation with instructors who share your passion. Plus, this can benefit you when the time comes to ask for letters of recommendation.

5.     Transcripts! 

Keep copies of your transcripts and documents from other schools you’ve attended. You’ll need them for some job and scholarship applications or if you study abroad. Finding all of those documents after transferring can be a hassle.

6.     Class credit

Take a look at your transcript(s) and make sure to enroll in courses that keep you on track for graduation. Transferring can alter your timeline a bit.

7.     Check out scholarships! 

There are a lot of scholarships specifically for transfer students. Check out what your school has to offer or do a quick Internet search using the keywords “transfer student scholarships”. Use this transition to your advantage!

Still feeling like a freshman? You’re not new to college, but you are new to this environment. Just take it all in, give yourself time to adjust, and you’ll know your campus like the back of your hand in no time.

Originally hailing from northern Wisconsin, McKenna is a double major in Philosophy and English with a concentration in creative writing. She is passionate about reading and writing all things sci fi.