This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Thanks to old Disney movies, iconic Rom-Coms, tear-jerkers by Nicholas Sparks, it’s easy to believe that being in a relationship is the most important thing in our lives and envision riding into the sunset with our knight in shining armor. After growing up and being introduced to the dating world, it was a real drag finding out how deceiving those movies truly were. There is no such thing as the perfect relationship. These movies and stories portrayed relationships in a way that is just not true. AT ALL. 

False Expectations 

These movies have created a false reality of guys who show up to your house with a sweet love song blaring from a boom box, and from real-life experience, we all know that’s not how it goes. In a real relationship you’ll be lucky if you can get your S.O. to do the favor you’ve been reminding them about all week. This alternate reality they’ve created has perpetuated a stigma around single life. Emphasizing being “single” makes people feel lonely and depressed because they don’t have that perfect storybook relationship that they’ve grown up believing in. In reality, the single life let’s you live your BEST life. 

Re-Focusing Your Affection 

You do NOT need a partner to be whole or feel loved. The strongest people are the ones who know how to love themselves for all that they are without the affirmation from a partner. All the love that you wish you could share with someone else should still be shown to yourself if that person hasn’t come along. Spend time loving yourself! By putting all that self-love inward, you’ll watch as you start turning into the best possible version of yourself. Being single allows you to figure out who you are, what you want, and what you have to offer in a future relationship.

There is No Expiration Date on Love 

You do not need to rush into any relationship or be in a rush to find one. I know it may sound cliché, but everything does happen for a reason. You will find your person when the time is right, and it will most likely be the moment you stop looking. Embrace the idea of endless opportunities and adventures. Use your single life to meet new people and try new things because there is no one who can hold you back. Being single is your superpower… use it! 

Bellie Gonzalez is a junior at Rollins College, majoring in Communication Studies with a concentration in public relations and minoring in Creative Writing. No, her real name isn’t Bellie, it’s Isabella, but she prefers to stick with her unique nickname that resonates with her one of a kind personality. In her free time, you can find Bellie doing the things she loves to do most: dancing, writing, and being a girl boss.