Phone In Hand Coffee Sightglasscoffee
Phone In Hand Coffee Sightglasscoffee
Amy Cho / Spoon

Where to Get Your Political Fix on TikTok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

We all know Charli D’Amelio, ex-leader of the Hype House. But have you explored the political side of TikTok? Media outlets first became aware of popular online political communities when Gen Z rallied together to mess with President Trump’s reelection campaign. TikTok activist accounts have continued to motivate our generation to vote and encourage us to speak on issues we care about. 

Let’s talk about the iconic Tulsa rally incident. This summer, Trump planned an Oklahoma rally for the day after Juneteenth- the holiday meant to celebrate the emancipation of enslaved Americans. The controversy hit TikTok and people started planning to reserve tickets for the rally, but not show up. The intention was to give Trump’s team a false sense of security in the audience they were expecting, and it worked like a charm when half the stadium was empty for the event. 

Think about the legendary Area 51 raid last year. If it’s possible to mobilize an entire generation over TikTok to raid a secret government base, can we use it to mobilize a higher voter turnout, too? Here are some great accounts to follow if you’re on TikTok and are looking to sprinkle more politics onto your feed, stay up to date and get more passionate about the issues you care about: 

Liberal accounts: 

@leftists Leftists has a comedic spin and uses humour in their videos and commentary  of current events 

@leftisthypehouse  Leftist Hype House hosts debates and posts educational and informational videos 

@liberalreasoning  Liberal Reasoning recently merged with the Leftists account to create   a forum for people to discuss issues and inform one another through the platform

Conservative accounts: 

@therepublicanhypehouse

@therepublicangirls

Remember to always fact check the information you receive on serious matters via social media. 

Kismet Kohn is an 18 year old psychology major at Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida. She is passionate about photography, writing, and travel. Kismet was on her high school's yearbook staff as a photographer and worked as the editor of the Literary Magazine.
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.