This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

In the many times I’ve found myself shopping at Trader Joe’s for my monthly groceries, I’ve found myself in the beauty isle wondering if their products were worth it. The natural ingredient list and cheap pricing drew me in, yet also made me hesitant. I usually decided no, there is no way something so cheap could work to replace the beauty products I know and love. Then, just one time, I decided to try a serum. Then a few months later I found myself trying each product I could find in the store. So here I am, saving you the trouble with a list of the Trader Joe’s beauty products that are worth buying and the ones you should ignore entirely.

Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer with Aloe & Green Tea Extract ($9)

If there is one Trader Joe’s beauty product you should buy, this face moisturizer is at the top of the list. It is so hydrating and leaves my skin soft and glassy for hours, so it’s perfect at night and in the morning. Because it is a gel it feels light and airy, so it absorbs into the skin without clogging pores or leaving that greasy feel some crème moisturizers create. This moisturizer has become a staple in my skincare routine. 

Retinol Night Serum with Baobab Seed Oil ($10)

This retinol night serum is wonderful. It is very hydrating, non-greasy, and absorbs quickly into the skin so a night crème can be placed on top. After using this a few times, my skin was noticeably less dry when waking up in the morning. It does have the slightest fresh potato smell, but that fades in seconds. I highly recommend this serum for dry skin.

Rose Water Facial Toner ($4)

This spray is one of the most refreshing mists I’ve ever used. I use it when I wake up and the cooling sensation really seems to brighten my skin before I go on with the rest of my skincare and makeup. I also use it throughout the day just to freshen up and cool myself down when it’s hot- plus, it doesn’t make my makeup run at all. 

Lavender Salt Scrub ($6)

This body scrub smells divine and leaves my skin unbelievably soft. There is just enough grit to exfoliate properly without it feeling painful. It is very hydrating and slightly oily, so I recommend you use it after you shave or it will clog your razor. Overall, if you are a body scrub person and enjoy the hydrating sheen it leaves, this is a great option.

Nourish Microdermabrasion Scrub Exfoliating Cream ($5)

If you have sensitive skin, this is not the product for you. It is very granular and feels almost harsh on the skin and because of how abrasive it is. I could only use this product twice because it was so aggressive against my skin. After washing it off, using a serum I love felt like it was burning my face. It might be a good product for super oily skin, but there are better exfoliants out there that don’t hurt.

Micellar Cleanser & Makeup Remover ($4)

This product is not worth buying in the slightest. I don’t have overly sensitive eyes, yet these wipes stung when using them. I thought the sting would go away, but each time I used them it burned. As a makeup remover, it failed to remove my eyeshadow and mascara, smudging it but not truly removing the color. It worked well on removing face products, but even that took multiple wipes.  

Hi! I'm a Third Year at Rollins. I'm into beauty, fashion, mental health and wellness, reading, and art. I'm always a safe space and willing to talk if you ever need support:)