This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

We all know Olivia Rodrigo’s explosive debut album has left an undeniable mark on Gen Z. It’s even touched a soft spot for millennials who crave the familiar angst and edgy sound of Avril Lavigne and other skater-girl icons of the 2000s. SOUR fills a void that no one knew needed to be filled- a female version of Weezer with an echo of Lorde’s mellow vocals. I’m all for the newly rediscovered skater-rock genre, especially when a young female artist is at the center of the movement. However, there were legends long before Olivia Rodrigo who have created unforgettable tracks for the edgy college student jamming out in her dorm. Here are some tracks that I think fulfill the spikes of teenage angst and melodrama that we all experience from time to time. 

Jagged Little Pill 

In Apple Music’s descriptive bio of SOUR’s influences and undertones, the album is coined ‘the Jagged Little Pill of Gen Z.’ Needless to say, I don’t approve of this comparison in the slightest. There will never be another song that strikes the heartstrings like the chorus of ‘Ironic.’ And if you haven’t belted it out in your shower recently, get ready to feel healed. ‘Head Over Feet’ is the anthem of love in every sense of the word, and ‘Hand in My Pocket’ defines the paradox of female existence. There is more power in this album than most works created in the past two decades combined. 

Folklore 

Maybe I’m biased because this album navigated me through so much chaotic self-discovery and transition. It’s by far Taylor’s most poetic album of all time, and every soft word leaves shivers down your spine. Especially during autumn, every song in this album resonates with the journey of womanhood and its implicit complexities. It takes the listener on an emotional rollercoaster unlike any other album I’ve heard, because Taylor comes into her most powerful sound after years of exploring what that truly meant.

CTRL 

Again, major bias here considering this is my favorite SZA album of all time. CTRL is her second album and it’s marked the ‘essential album’ of hers to listen to on Apple Music. It embodies everything that makes SZA’s raspy range and rhythmic instinct one of a kind. This album will grab you by the hand and lead you head first into whatever life changes you’re going through. Songs like ‘Go Gina,’ ‘Prom,’ and ‘Garden’ punch you in the gut in the best possible way. SZA could serenade me any night of the week, but in the meantime blasting CTRL will work just fine.

Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.