Culture > News

These 2020 Female Candidates are a New Breed of Badass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

There was a time when no girl would be told they would ever have even a slight chance of running for president. Our nation has dug itself into a deep, dark grave of misunderstanding and money-first policies, but women are empowering each other more and more to fix these problems. Fortunately, we have a chance in the 2020 election to put the power into the hands of someone who will actually understand our needs. Here’s what you should know about the phenomenal political superstars on the slate: 

Elizabeth Warren 

At an event honoring Navajo code talkersPresident Donald Trump referenced Warren by the nickname he gave her, Pocahontas. In an interview with MSNBC, Warren remarks, ‘It is deeply unfortunate that the President of the United States cannot even make it through a ceremony honoring these heroes without having to throw out a racial slur. Donald Trump does this over and over thinking somehow he is going to shut me up with it. It hasn’t worked in the past, it isn’t going to work out in the future.’ This is a woman who is eloquently spoken, boldly outspoken, and unafraid to call people out on their behavior” – CNN 

Kamala Harris 

“Kamala has spent her life fighting injustice. It’s a passion that was first inspired by her mother, Shyamala, an Indian-American immigrant, activist, and breast cancer researcher. Having completed two terms as the District Attorney of San Francisco, Kamala was elected as the first African-American and first woman to serve as California’s Attorney General. Since taking office, she has introduced and cosponsored legislation to raise wages for working people, reform our broken criminal justice system, make healthcare a right for all Americans, address the epidemic of substance abuse, support veterans and military families, and expand access to childcare for working parents” – https://www.harris.senate.gov/about

Tulsi Gabbard 

“In 1996, Mike Gabbard and the then-15-year-old Tulsi founded the nonprofit People for Environmental and Community Health, later renamed the Healthy Hawaii Coalition, teaching people about ‘the interconnectedness of our polluted natural environment and our degrading personal health. The group is partially funded by grants from other nonprofits, but in 2004 it received $25,000 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Hawaii State Department of Health”

– https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/tulsi-gabbard-2020-presidential-campaign-twenty-things-to-know/

Amy Klobuchar 

Klobuchar’s daughter was born with a condition that prevented her from swallowing. Due to health insurance coverage rules at the time, Klobuchar had to leave the hospital after a 24-hour stay while her daughter remained. Klobuchar later testified before the Minnesota state legislature to successfully change the law ensuring new mothers a 48-hour stay covered by insurance. In 1996, President Bill Clinton signed similar legislation requiring insurance companies cover hospital stays for new mothers for at least 48 hours.

During a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing about sexual assault allegations made against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, Klobuchar addressed her father’s own struggle with alcoholism. In response to Klobuchar’s questions regarding Kavanaugh’s drinking habits, Kavanaugh responded combatively, for which he later apologized. – CNN 

Her Campus at Rollins College
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.