Culture > Digital

The “De-Influencing” Trend is the Best Thing to Ever Happen to TikTok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Every time I have opened TikTok in the past year, one of three things was most likely immediately shoved down my throat:

1. Drunk Elephant Bronzing Drops
  2. Dyson Airwrap
  3. Charlotte Tilbury Glow Wand

I do not own any of these items despite them being featured in almost every video I see. Unfortunately, most people cannot say the same.

A pretty girl with perfect skin, perfect hair, and a perfect tan will tell me I NEEEEED whatever she’s holding up because she’s OBSESSSSSSEDDDD every 5 seconds as I scroll. And hey, good for her; I’m glad she likes the product. But what does it really mean to need something? The line between a desire and a need has been skewed, if not erased, by TikTok influencers. With brands having such easy access to potential customers through screens, I’m not surprised that this has happened. What I am surprised about, however, is the chokehold the “Alix Earle effect” has on people.

Alix Earle is the queen of the tan, bleach blonde, overall “perfect” influencers. Everyone wants to be her, and that desire to obtain her look has caused a cult-like reaction of people buying everything they see in her general vicinity. Her entire makeup collection, her hair styling tools, her clothing… you name it, a teenage girl somewhere out there has it because of her. A video popped up on my “For You” page yesterday titled “GRWM for my Alix Inspired Boob Job.” It’s scary.

Alix is one of the only influencers that has amassed this large of a “reactive” audience, as in she says “jump” and millions of people say “how high?”. Other influencers may not be at the level where they’re selling things out without even naming the product in the video, as Alix does, but there are SO many people pushing products that viewers buy. Scroll through 10 videos on your For You page, and you most likely will get directed toward an Amazon storefront multiple times. It’s inescapable.

I’m not suggesting becoming a minimalist overnight. Rather, shedding light on possibly toxic buying habits. Having 30 different blushes or 18 mascaras is not normal, but social media may make you feel like it is. The “de-influencing” trend is amazing for that reason. We’re being told not to buy things for the first time ever.

Next time a “de-influencing” TikTok comes up as you scroll, I highly suggest you watch it in its entirety. Listen to people’s disappointment in the large amount of money they’ve spent on useless, misleading, or overall bad products. This trend will change the way you view your material consumption. 

And the next time someone even begins to say “Amazon,”… scroll. Immediately.

Sophomore Pre-Law English major with a tendency for unusual life experiences and love for iced caramel macchiatos.