This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

When I was little I remember playing dress up in my mom’s closet for hours, giving her a fashion show of her silky gowns and sparkling stilettos. Now that I am older, I still find myself shopping through my mom’s closet, finding all of those beautiful pieces  and wearing her pearls with absolutely everything. Her closet inspires me to create eclectic looks, mixing leather fabrics with a classy set of pearls.

I know I am not the only one loving my mom’s closet as fashion trends today seem to be stemming right from that vintage feel.

Platform Heels

Let’s be honest, Bratz dolls were ahead of their time, especially when it comes to their stylish platforms. Dating back to the 1970s, platforms were such a huge hit during the disco era and are beginning to make their way back out of our mom’s closets! Luxury designers like Versace have created these classy platform pumps  bedazzled in crystals and charms, enough to make all of our  8 year old dreams come true. Actress Nicola Peltz Beckham got married in a simple stunning gown and paired it with a custom pair of the Versace Medusa platforms in white. Steve Madden, a more affordable but high quality brand, has created a similar platform that comes in an array of colors, all without the price tag.

Gloves

Gloves have been making their debut in the fashion world once again and not just to keep your hands warm. Gloves have always been associated with  royalty and considered to be a more formal attire, but lately these precious gems, hidden in our mom’s wardrobe, have been coming back out and creating a new era of fashion.. During an award show in 2022, singer Dua Lipa was seen wearing black latex gloves that caught everyone’s eye and stole the show.  It was one of her most iconic looks combining both ultra feminine and daintiness associated with gloves while also incorporating her personal glam and funky style we often see. In an episode of Euphoria, actress Alexa Demie (who is known for her role as Maddy) wears gloves as a fashion statement. Recently, Kim Kardashian’s brand, Skims, came out with a swimwear collection that had swim styled gloves. These gloves matched the bikini sets and totally transformed an average bikini into a fashion statement! Stores like Princess Polly, Urban Outfitters, and even Forever 21 offer more budget friendly options for this  fun accessory. 

Pearls

Take a peek into your mom’s antique jewelry box and I’m sure you will find a strand of pearls, from earrings to necklaces, as they come in all shapes and sizes.  Recently, the Vivienne Westwood necklace took the fashion world by storm. Madison Beer, among other stars, has been wearing the Vivienne Westwood necklace as a staple piece in her recent pics on Instagram and gives off a feminine but punk edge look. Today, pearls seem to be everywhere, styled with thigh high boots and crop tops, giving pearls a new meaning in fashion. Pearls are a  timeless piece that will forever remain a classy staple. If you’re looking for a more college friendly budget, I highly recommend places like Urban Outfitters for the perfect little pearl choker.

Headbands

Gossip Girl’s  iconic Blair Waldorf has been known as the headband wearing icon. We never saw her leave  the Upper East Side without her hair pulled back into a headband. Although Blair is one of the many reason’s headbands became such an iconic fashion staple,  in the 1960s, this  trend was all the rave. Famous French actress Brigitte Bardot was known for her thick and wide headbands that she wore in photoshoots. The headband creates a flattering contrast from the person’s features and makes them more pronounced while also giving  hair extra volume at the same time. 

So, next time you’re thinking about doing a major closet upgrade, try shopping in your mom’s closet for fun! Channel your inner Bratz doll with some sky high platforms, Blair Waldorf with a stylish headband, Dua Lipa with gloves, or Madison Beer with a set of pearls!

Helmut Dungan

Rollins '23

Helmut is an international business major with an admiration of the fashion and beauty world. She is social chair of Kappa Delta and previously served as their PR relations assistant.