This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Thrifting is one of my favorite sports and I truly excel at it. It’s my favorite rainy day activity as well as grabbing an iced coffee on the way. I get such an adrenaline rush from walking into a Goodwill. My eyes wander to every rack and shelf looking for hidden gems. After many years, I have cultivated a list of my favorite tips and tricks in order to find yourself a shopping cart full of items.

Tip 1:

Go to every thrift store you see! I have thrifted the coolest items from the most random spots. I love to shop from places that support a good cause like the Goodwill or the Humane Society. 

Tip 2:

Once you have your list of favs, try to find out their big restock days. This way you can plan accordingly to shop the new collection. Typically, every thrift store I have been to usually has special days when certain items are marked off for a higher discount so make sure to look for signs that display daily sales as well.

Tip 3:

Have a list of specific items you are searching for, but don’t skip the aisles. Make sure to skim through every article of clothing because typically the gems are hidden among the racks!

Tip 4:

Another trick in shopping thrift stores, look for items that are in the “off season”. They won’t be in high demand and you’re more likely to find unique pieces. You also want to make sure there are no visible stains or marks on the article of clothing. 

Tip 5:

My favorite tip is to grab your cart, put your headphones in, and start rummaging through the racks. Every time I go thrifting I allow a few hours to take my time as I skim through the racks. Adding music helps me to focus on what I’m looking for. 

Thrifting is so beneficial not to just us but the environment in itself. By recycling our clothing and buying used items, we are contributing to lessening the impacts of chemical pollution and saving money while doing it. We are swapping out the idea of going to the mall and buying new clothes by shopping locally and finding unique yet trendy pieces to style. Start shopping smart and sustainably through thrifting! 

Helmut Dungan

Rollins '23

Helmut is an international business major with an admiration of the fashion and beauty world. She is social chair of Kappa Delta and previously served as their PR relations assistant.