This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Murder mysteries and celebrity life-stories aren’t the only interesting documentaries out there. Don’t get me wrong, I love Taylor Swift’s “Miss Americana” just as much as anyone, but the documentaries that really stick with me are the ones that teach me something new or change my perspective. Here are a few of my favorite documentaries that I can personally tell you are well worth the watch! 

Minimalism

I’ve always loved the saying “less is more” — and that’s exactly what this documentary on Netflix teaches. Getting rid of some of our material possessions is not only a way to declutter, but allows us to form more meaningful relationships and lead less stressful lives that are not dictated by consumerism. This film has definitely impacted me the most, as I’ve started trying to implement minimalism in my own life and have discovered truth in what the documentary emphasizes: if we try to fulfill our happiness with materialistic goods, we’ll never truly be happy. 

Happy 

The psychology major in me lights up whenever I watch this documentary. This film found on Amazon Video follows Academy Award nominated director Roko Belic as he travels to dozens of countries across the world, interviewing people on what it means to be happy. The unique perspectives of a rickshaw driver in Calcutta, a woman who had been run over by a truck, a Brazilian surfer, and more teach viewers that we can all become happier no matter our situation. 

13th

With the Black Lives Matter movement on the rise, this Academy Award nominated Netflix film provides a relevant and incredibly important look at the nature of systemic racism in the United States. This documentary looks at the history of slavery post Civil War, with a focus on the mass incarceration of black people. Watching it is a great first step in getting educated on the social and political issues that continue to pervade our country. 

Feminists: What Were They Thinking? 

This Netflix documentary sends a powerful message to college women in particular, as it explores the continued need for feminist change in our world. It begins by showing women flip through a photo album of feminists in the 1970’s who actively challenged their patriarchal society. Revisiting the images and identities of these 20th century women shows us how much incredible change has been made, while also emphasizing that we have a long way to go to reach equality.​

David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet

If you’ve watched any sort of nature documentary, you’ve definitely heard David Attenborough’s British accent narrating in the background. This 2020 documentary found on Netflix explores his contributions to the planet while detailing the drastic effects of climate change and what we should do to reverse those effects. 

Anna Voicu

Rollins '23

Anna is a sophomore psychology major at Rollins College who is passionate about art, writing, and, of course, making Pinterest boards. She loves the color yellow, the outdoors, and advocating for mental health.
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.