Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham in gilmore girls
Saeed Adyani/Netflix

5 Comfort Shows You Need to Watch Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

A comfort show is your go-to watch when you’re going through a tough time- it can also be a security blanket for everyday life. For some people, it doesn’t need to be a feel good show or comedy, just something you can relate to and take solace in. However you choose to define it, below is a list of some classic comfort shows and some you may not have thought of. Maybe you’ll find your newest obsession!

Gilmore Girls

This is a classic. There’s a character for everyone to love in Gilmore Girls, and you’re likely to relate to at least one phase of the main character, Rory’s adolescence. It has an eternally soothing small town setting complete with quirky townspeople- you couldn’t possibly ask for more in a comfort show. 

Santa Clarita Diet

Drew Barrymore is one of the most comforting staples of this show. She plays a suburban mom and wife that mysteriously turns into a zombie. An entertaining cast of characters gives the audience comedic relief while the family navigates their new, socially complicated life. It’s effortlessly funny with an odd take on the horror genre. 

Community

I’m currently watching Community and I can’t get enough. The show centers around a group of six wildly different students who form a study group at their community college. It sounds pretty run of the mill, but each episode will surprise you. Some are set up as war documentaries, video games, or muppet style musicals. It’s an unexpectedly one of a kind sitcom. 

Bojack Horseman

This might seem like an odd suggestion for a comfort show, but it was mine all last semester. The animation is bright and the characters are authentic. They’re an interesting mix of people and anthropomorphic animals, whose lives often cause the watcher to be introspective. Bojack Horseman has many running gags like alliteration that make the show charming. (It does deal with heavy issues and may not be suitable for everyone to watch.) 

Arrested Development

Arrested Development is one of the gems of Michael Cera’s early career. It’s the story of  a wealthy family trying to survive financially when their father goes to prison for illegal business practices. This one also has a lot of running gags that make the show fun to watch. The episodes are short and perfect for when you need a laugh at the end of a long day. 

I have personally watched (and rewatched) all of these within the last year or so, and highly recommend that anyone who’s looking for a new comfort show try one out!

Natasha Luce

Rollins '23

Natasha Luce is a double major in Environmental Studies and Music major at Rollins College. She has always enjoyed reading and writing as a creative outlet.