Style

4 Looks You Need in Your Closet this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Fall is for so much more than just pumpkin spice, colder weather – as cold as it can be in  Florida – and holidays. It’s the time when we can finally do a much-needed revamp of our closets. As the trends are set by Fall Fashion Week, stores are beginning to change their mannequins from shorts and t-shirts to the latest fashions. 

Menswear

The first major style piece of this fall is incorporating menswear into your closet. Whether it’s oversized suit jackets or dress pants, business casual is leading the meeting. Even though we live in Florida we can still incorporate the style into our everyday outfits with vests as a way to spice up your favorite outfit but still keep it trendy: the key is layering! It’s time to reuse your favorite white crop top, but layer on either a vest or suit jacket to compliment your figure but keep the layered look. Pair it with a pair of jeans or dress pants and you have the perfect trendy transitional look for fall. 

Woolen Sweaters

Next up, woolen items- a fall staple. There’s nothing better than cozying up in an oversized sweater. This one may need to wait until December, but it can still be useful in those cold classrooms. Focus on those woolen, oversized sweaters with tighter bottoms. Plus, most in-style sweaters come in those fantastic basic colors like beige, giving you plenty of opportunities to spice things up with fun colored bottoms. The best part, sweaters never go out of style, so splurging a bit more won’t hurt your wallet in the long run.

Midi Skirts

Midi skirts and dresses are the 60’s major comeback to everyday fashion. They’re the perfect item for the Florida fall,  just long enough to keep you warm but has enough movement to keep you cool. skirts are always a great way to dress up a simple t-shirt, or can even  be used to dress up with a pair of pumps.

Patterns

Patterns are always a bold choice, whether you want to try more than one patterned item or just one. It’s always a way to make that plain white t-shirt or your favorite pair of jeans a brand new outfit. Never be afraid to mix patterns- the best advice is to choose similar colors but different sizes of the pattern to keep a cohesive look. 

Then rolls around the ultimate issue, how do we stay on top of  current trends, but make sustainable and frankly cheaper decisions? The best way to do so is through online thrift stores like Depop or ThredUp, where you can shop cheaply and sustainably from the comfort of your home.

Belle Daoust

Rollins '25

Isabelle (Belle) Daoust is looking to double major in Theatre and Psychology and is part of the Honors College at Rollins. She enjoys reading, listening to music, and as a third culture kid, she, of course, loves to travel.