This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

In the world we live in today, it’s imperative to stay politically aware. There are so many things happening in the political world that can directly affect us. I know that many people our age don’t want to watch the boring news or read the paper, so I found some quick and fun ways to keep up with current events. 

Podcasts You Should Listen to: 

One of my favorite activities when I’m doing any simple chores around my house is listening to podcasts. Listening to podcasts is a nice way to stay politically aware because they give a fun and informative way to catch up on news. There are numerous podcasts that dive into certain sectors of politics like the history of past presidents, important court cases, and more. The top 3 podcasts I recommend are The Daily by the New York Times, Throughline by NPR, Left, Right, and Center by KCRW’s. The Daily does a great job giving you quick episodes under 20 minutes updating you on pressing issues in politics. The podcast Throughline takes an intriguing view by explaining how past historical events affect the way the political world is set up today. Lastly, Left, Right, and Center is about a host who sits down with numerous right-wing and left-wing guests and discusses various political topics that lead to heated conversations, and he is always neutral.  

Social Media Accounts You Should Follow:

In a time when social media is the dominant method of receiving information, use it to your advantage. I go on social media every day like I’m sure you all do, so why not follow some accounts that can easily make you stay aware? You can either follow people in high political positions on Instagram and Twitter like Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, or commentators like Candance Owens and Van Jones.. I also suggest following accounts that give you the news in the simplest way like the Instagram account called @simplepolitics. This account breaks down current events in bullet points without any bias.

Apps You Should Try:

I know a lot of us dread reading the topics that we find uninteresting, so why not search for magazines and papers that seriously excite you? If you subscribe to one on your phone, you can get notified of any pressing news you want to hear. Also, the great thing about certain magazine apps is that they can actually read the news to you. You can suggest an audio voice to read aloud to you! Some of the most credible magazine apps to get are the Washington Post, New York Times, and NPR. 

Madison Bailey is freshman at Rollins College from Windermere, Florida. She is a communications major. She loves fashion, writing and traveling. In her free time she loves to watch Netflix, fashion shows, or read a good book.
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.