freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Shouldn’t Aim to Be a Part of The 10-Carat-Plus Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

For those of you who don’t know, the 10-carat-plus club is an elite group that one becomes a part of with an engagement ring that is ten carats or more. Google the phrase and you’ll find posts about it on Vogue, Facebook, Pinterest, and Trendolizer. While this ‘club’ is apparently nothing new, I just recently came across the Vogue article that resurfaces every now and again to celebrate famous women who have the most extravagant engagement rings around. The article also has an attached slideshow of rings from various jewelers that you can purchase so, you too, can become part of the elite. On each slideshow a description of each ring is provided at the bottom. The slides clearly state the the price is given upon request because all of the rings are that expensive.

I completely understand why celebrities have such ornate rocks- they have the money to buy them! There’s nothing wrong with that, especially if that’s the way your significant other wants to express their love. But we should not let these rings become the new standard of our #RelationshipGoals. Way too often society puts more emphasis on material goods rather than good itself, warping our perspective of what really is ideal. When we have so much desire for these “valuables” we begin to do whatever it takes to obtain them, and the value of things that are truly priceless is lost. While you work hard to be able to get such luxuries, eventually, a point of desperation is reached and the jobs you hold and people you meet only become a means to an end. 

You are not in a relationship to get a ring. And your lover’s love for you is not defined by the price or size of a piece of jewelry, car, or pair of shoes. Love has no price tag and the act of engagement itself is one human giving their life to another forever, and to me, that’s pretty monumental. 

The Vogue article also quotes designer Robert Procop saying, “a woman wants something unique, something that’s special to her,” but when you’re part of the 10-carat-plus club, there’s nothing individual about it. All of these women have the same boulder, on the same finger, for the same purpose: opulence.

This year, I encourage you to try to wean yourself off the desire to live like royalty. Instead, focus on the beauty that is all around us everyday. Appreciate your man or woman for the joy and companionship they bring you.

True beauty, after all, comes from within, and a sparkling personality is the shiniest piece of all. 

Gianna is a Brain and Cognitive Sciences major at the University of Rochester in New York. Originally exposed to Her Campus after being interviewed for Campus Cutie, she is excited to start this new writing experience! She absolutely loves corny jokes, little cute things, tea, coffee, and good conversation.