This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

This spring semester, sophomore Angel Tavera ’19 moves away from his familiar campus in Rochester and takes on the bustling streets of NYC. Through the Art New York Program offered at UR, he will be able to explore his career interest and love of film and art in the city. The Art NY program is an internship program that aims to “immerse students in the stimulating art environment of New York City—the global hub of the contemporary art scene and a major center for the exhibition, conservation, and trade in art works.” Angel is interning at Sircle Media as their social media intern while continuing his art studies with the other students in the program at Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center. 

Thoughts from Angel:

Any notable learning experiences from the program so far? 

“Last Friday, we went to the Museum of Modern Art to see the Picabbio exhibit; it was the first time I actually ever had to analyze someone’s work of art and that was a bit challenging for me because, typically, I always went to a museum more so for the aesthetics and not really for the context behind the art itself (if that makes sense). Nonetheless, I can say that, overall, it was a positive experience and I learned a few tips on how to better examine art work for next time.”

How did you feel on your first day as an intern for Sircle Media?

“Walking in on the first day of my internship was absolutely frightening! I think it had to do with the fact that prior to this, I had been building up this idea in my head of the people and the work environment of the office; I think that is what made me more anxious. About half an hour into the day, my advisor had already helped me get settled in, introduced me to the people and gave me a to-do list for the day. The people were very friendly and relatable, which I loved and I could tell that my time here would go by smoothly.”

Angel’s closing words: 

“My experience in Art NY so far has certainly been eye-opening. I’ve learned so much in the short span of time I’ve been here – not only about my internship, but also about myself. I’m grateful to be here and can’t wait to see where the following weeks will take me!”

Pamela is a sophomore at the University of Rochester in New York. Although she plans to pursue a major in business, she still possess a passion for writing, whether creative or journalistic. During her free time, she enjoys dancing along with watching Friends or Once Upon a Time while relaxing in bed. Shopping and eating are definitely on her list of favorite activities as well.