UR Cheer is Going to Nationals!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Attention University of Rochester! Your UR Cheer Team is going to nationals!! This is a HUGE deal, as it is the first time in recent history that our cheer team has made it to the national level. In order to find out more, Her Campus sat down with a few of the members of the team! Here is what they had to say!

Her Campus: This is your first time competing at Nationals! How do you feel?

Hope Barkley: It’s really exciting, especially because the team has been working so hard. It’s our big goal to work for this year!

Her Campus: We hear that cheer is a big commitment! How often do you guys meet?

Sarmishtha PV: It’s three times a week, Monday and Wednesday for 2 hours 8:30 to 10:30. We go from 4:30 to 6:30 on Friday’s for a tumbling class!

Her Campus: Do you guys ever cheer on campus?

Beth Tallis: No, we used to be a sideline team, but 3 years ago we became a competition only team! We still have events on campus, including events on Mel weekend and an upcoming fundraiser on November 10th!

Her Campus: That sounds so fun! What is your favorite part about being on the cheer team?

HB: I love all the girls that I got to meet from it. It gives me a group of people outside of my immediate friends!

BT: The two hours we go, I get to forget about the stress of classes and just focus on cheer.

SPV: The stuff we do is so fun! We always learn new things every practice, which is super rewarding. The people on the team are so fun too, so time flies during practice.

Her Campus: So, where is nationals this year?

BT: Ocean City, Maryland. The competition is called Reach the Beach!

Her Campus: How many teams go? Do you compete against other schools?

HB: Yeah, we compete against other D3 cheer teams! 25 teams are going this year!

Her Campus: What are you most excited for? Are you guys nervous at all?

HB: I am a flyer so i am always nervous, but i trust my teammates a lot so I am really excited too! I can’t wait to reach the end-goal of all of our moves and stunts, and we are working up to some really cool stuff

BT: The stuff we do really challenges, but I think we are capable of doing it, so I am excited to get to perform all of the new things I have learned at Nationals!

Her Campus: This all sounds so amazing! If we want to help support your journey to nationals, is there anything we can do?

SPV: Donate! Donate! Donate! We are trying to reach $5,000 so we need all of the help we can get!

BT: We have a USEED fundraising page which will take donations until Monday, November 7th! Any amount is appreciated. Donate using the link here

HB: We also have an awesome Bar Fundraiser at The Exchange, on the 10th of November. The cheer team will be bartending, and all tips will go to support the team. We will also be selling 50/50 raffle tickets!

SPV: Yeah, and keep an eye out for other fundraisers throughout the year, because there definitely will be more!

Her Campus: Amazing! Thanks so much guys, and good luck at Nationals!

My life motto is that if mint chocolate chip ice cream can't fix it, you're screwed.