A Transfer Story: I Switched Colleges & It wasn’t the End of the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

The first semester of freshman year can be rough. It was for me, at least. Adjusting to a different lifestyle: classes, dining halls, new friends, roommates, etc. can be a lot at once. Once second semester rolls around, things usually become easier, or so you’d expect.

I gave my previous university 3 semesters before transferring to a school closer to home. To be fair, I was attending an amazing school in every aspect. Academically, socially, financially, everything, especially the campus, was picture perfect. However, despite the wonderful friendships I had formed and the progress I had made, something was still just off.

Applying to transfer was a difficult decision. I was worried about throwing away the opportunity I had at my school. But at the same time I was concerned about missing out on a potentially better college experience. I didn’t want to leave the friends or my favorite study spots, but I definitely was tired of the constant anxiety that I felt.

Once I arrived at my new school, I felt content. I had an awesome roommate and a decent lay of the land. I went through formal recruitment and joined a sorority, which is an entire other story in itself, and seemed to be doing fairly well. However, I constantly compared this new school to the one I went to before, the food, the gym layout, the meal plan, the size of the campus, and even the buildings. I definitely missed, if not completely regretted leaving, my old school.

The next semester arrived, and I was optimistic. At this point I had gotten more detached from my old school, keeping in touch with only my closest friends. I became comfortable at my current school with the routine and atmosphere. I compared the two less and less. Occasionally, I’ll see another student wearing a shirt from my old school, and it hits me, wow I miss that place. But what I definitely don’t miss is the perpetual anxiety. I don’t miss sitting in my dorm room wishing I was somewhere else. To me, that is what is most important.

My old school was the perfect university, just not perfect for me.

I spent my entire freshman year at my old school and that will always be something that shaped who I am today and I will always associate with it to some capacity. But I realized I don’t have to belong to one place, I can identify with many. I think it is this realization that helped me overcome the regret and fear of transferring.

Whether you are considering transferring or are also a transfer student, I hope this has brought you some peace of mind. Maybe you had to leave your school unwillingly, maybe you left quite willingly, or maybe a bit of both. Either way, just remember to keep moving forward. Own your decision, don’t spend time worrying about what could have been. Focus on making what is to be the best it can be.

Alex is junior from just outside Rochester, NY studying business and studio art. Ultimately, she is interested in a career in advertising. When Alex isn't studying, she can be found crafting or watching The Office for the 100th time. She has a passion for good puns and good food. She also has a pretty cool chocolate lab that typically takes up the majority of her snapchat story.