Split Movie Review (No Spoilers)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Don’t worry: this review won’t contain any spoilers – non, nada, zero! So feel free to sit back, relax, and find out why you should definitely watch this movie.

Split is a psychological horror film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan, who is known for his supernatural, psychological thrillers and their twisty endings. The Sixth Sense (1999), Unbreakable (2000), Signs (2002), and The Visit (2015) are among his most notable films. 

Here’s a little plot preview (thanks Google/ Wikipedia) if you haven’t heard about Split:

“While the mental divisions of those with dissociative identity disorder have long fascinated and eluded science, it is believed that some can also manifest unique physical attributes for each personality, a cognitive and physiological prism within a single being. Though Kevin has evidenced 23 personalities to his trusted psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher, there remains one still submerged who is set to materialize and dominate all the others. Compelled to abduct three teenage girls led by the willful, observant Casey, Kevin reaches a war for survival among all of those contained within him – as well as everyone around him – as the walls between his compartments shatter apart.”

Now let’s discuss all the reasons why I loved the film and why I highly recommend it!

The Score

Cleverly refreshing and effective as it was manipulated well into scenes, creeping in subtly at first but then builds at the perfect moments

Great Balance Between Humor/ Thrill (yes, there are funny parts in the film!)

You’ll be at the edge of your seat one second and then laughing at one of the absurd personalities the next. Don’t get me wrong: this film is not a comedy thriller. But it does know how to build tension with frightening shots and release it with humor every now and then to make the movie-watching experience fantastic and memorable. In other words, this film has dimension – layers that make the audience feel a variety of emotions and not just fear. 

The Characters

Betty Buckley, the psychiatrist, and Anya-Taylor Joy, one of the abducted teenage girls, both propel the story forward with their strong and captivating acting skills. 

James McAvoy

His performance in Split is so excellent and impressive that he deserves his own category (and more recognition)! Personally, I’ve always found him to be one of the most underrated actors working today, and in this film, he exceeds any and all expectations. It is apparent upon watching it that he is fully committed to his role. I mean, the guy had 23 completely different personas he had to capture and act in! And sure enough, McAvoy gave everything he had in his performance, surrendering himself fully to each of his character’s 23 personalities – each one being clearly distinguishable from the other just from his distinct facial mannerisms and vocal patterns/ pitch. Brilliant! (Oh and this isn’t really important or relevant, but the Scottish actor is pretty easy on the eyes, too; I just thought I would let you know in case that at all affects your decision making process next time you go to the movies.) 

Check out the trailer here.

Pamela is a sophomore at the University of Rochester in New York. Although she plans to pursue a major in business, she still possess a passion for writing, whether creative or journalistic. During her free time, she enjoys dancing along with watching Friends or Once Upon a Time while relaxing in bed. Shopping and eating are definitely on her list of favorite activities as well.