Soccer Star Alex Swanger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Alex Swanger is a sophomore on the men’s soccer team, which has received an at-large
bid to the NCAA tournament beginning this weekend. A 2011 Honorable Mention All-
UAA athlete and recent Campus Times Athlete of the Week, Swanger leads the team in
assists (6) and is second in goals (5).

What has led to the team’s success this season?
We’re more cohesive as a group and everybody feels much more a part of the team than
they did last year. Everybody on the team realizes what we’re capable of and we’re all
willing to put in the work to get there.

Why did you decide to play soccer at UR?
My dad played soccer here and I thought it would be cool to play where he played. I
love the school and I’ve always felt at home here. I wanted to be able to compete for
something (like reaching a post-season), and I knew I’d be able to do that here.

You score goals and you generate a lot of assists. Which do you prefer?
As long as the end result is a goal for the team, I have no preference. I take pride in
being able to generate chances for our team, whether I’m the one finishing the chance,
making the final pass, or doing something else to help our team score. That being said,
I’m in a friendly competition with Jack Thesing right now and I need about two more
goals to draw level in points.

This is (personally) your first trip to the NCAAs. What do you think it will be like?
I don’t really know what to expect, but I’m just trying to take it one game at a time. I
know everyone on the team is really excited about the opportunity that we have.

How has playing soccer impacted your college experience?
Most of my closest friends are on the soccer team. Being a member of the men’s soccer
team has become part of my identity at school and I’m proud to represent UR as an
athlete.

The Yellowjackets (10-3-3) will play in the first round against Misericordia on Saturday,
November 10th, at Susquehanna University.
Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.