This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.
College can get pretty hectic and stressful, so it’s not uncommon for people to unwind with a drink (or two…or three). And in this environment where drinking is so common, it’s easy to forget the basics of safe drinking and going out.

Here are six dos and don’ts to remember when partying responsibly (as shown through Parks and Rec gifs)!

1. DO eat something before drinking.
It’s always good to have something to eat before drinking, preferably a big meal. This means the body will absorb and process alcohol more slowly, preventing nausea and headaches. It’ll make the night better in the long run!

2. DON’T leave your drink unattended.
This is especially important when you’re at a party or the club. Make sure to watch your drink at all times. There have been instances where people drug drinks, so it’s best to be cautious. If you have to put your drink down for any reason, give it to a friend to hold instead.

3. DO track the amount of drinks you’re having.
This always just seems like a chore, but keeping track of how much you’re drinking will be helpful in the future. It’s important to know your limits and when to stop when you’ve had too much. Setting a drink limit before you go out will stop you from going overboard. Don’t feel pressured to keep drinking after that.

4. DON’T drink and drive!!
In 2014, nearly ten thousand people died in drunk driving accidents, and nearly three hundred thousand others were injured. Drunk driving not only endangers yourself, but other people as well. Make sure to plan how to get home before going out, whether it’s having a sober friend drive or calling a taxi. 

5. DO drink lots of water!
Everyone knows the importance of drinking some water in between drinks, but staying hydrated throughout the entire night will help dilute the alcohol and prevent hangovers. Seriously, no one wants to wake up being both hungover AND dehydrated.

6. DON’T do anything you’ll regret.
Don’t drunk text your ex, drunk call your mom, drunkenly make out with someone you hate, just stay away! It’s for the best. Make sure to always have a responsible friend looking out for you. Remember, it’s safer to be in groups.

Drink responsibly everyone! 

Remember, if you’re struggling with substance abuse, don’t be afraid to seek help. Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357), or visit http://www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline for more information.

Emily Zhu

Rochester

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Rochester, planning to major in English Lit. Hailing from New York City, she has an insurmountable love for bagels, and she always has her earphones and a cup of coffee in her hands. She's passionate about Netflix marathons, dyed hair, and intersectionality.