nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Family reunions, gingerbread houses, stress-eating your mom’s mashed potatoes. It’s that time of the year again! For some of us, the holidays are life’s highlights. They represent a time of relaxation and love, an excuse to spend long days with those closest to you, sharing and creating precious moments. For all us normal people, however, the holidays are a reminder of why we don’t call our dads on the weekend. Or our great aunts. Or our family friends’ friend’s nephew. You get the idea. 

“We think about killing each other all the time!”

With all the criticism and judgement family members tend to pass around, it is not unlikely that the discussion of your love life will be made this holiday season. And if you’re single, that discussion can be one you dread, or at least cause acute discomfort in your general whole body area. But don’t stick your head in the turkey just yet, my friend. I promise being single during the holidays isn’t so bad. In fact, being single in general isn’t so bad. Although it can be disheartening watching your friends get caught under the mistletoe or having their New Year’s kiss, all while be hounded by relatives on your lack of couple-hood, being alone does not have to mean being lonely. Sometimes, you’re single for a reason. It’s not because there’s anything wrong with you, or that you’ve done anything wrong, it’s just what it is. Sometimes, we need to take life for what it is. If you’re single this year, embrace it. Screw the mistletoe, screw the New Year’s kiss. Take time this holiday to love yourself. Buy yourself that book you’ve been wanting, curl up in blankets and have a movie night, make yourself hot chocolate (just the way you like it). Family and friends can always criticize. Even you can criticize. None of that takes away how important it is to spend time with and understand yourself, however. You’re young, and your life has only just begun. Don’t let the time pass and be dragged down by loneliness; the cost of a decision like that outweighs any benefit. 

Let this holiday season be your gift, one that you share with yourself. Eventually, there will be a time when your love will extend to someone else. Until then, be confident in your being alone. No matter what season. 

Ashley is from Long Island, and loves The Hunger Games to an alarming degree. She likes taking her one-a-day vitamins and having existential crises on her bedroom floor, usually about the inevitable robot alien invasion. She also appreciates the rare opportunity to use third person, and hopes you have a nice day (unless you're a robot, in which case, get away you anatomical fabrication!)