Rochester Spring Sports Update

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Now that March Madness is over, are you wondering what sports to watch? U of
R spring sports are fully underway, despite the weather remaining chilly.

The baseballteam is currently 7-13, where they split doubleheaders with every UAA team in Florida
over spring break. Sophomore Brendan Garry and junior Sam Slutsky were named to the
UAA All-Tournament Team for their performance that week. The team is now battling
in the Liberty League for the rest of the season. Their home games are played at Towers
Field, the newly renovated turf baseball field – they’re hoping for much fewer rain
postponings!

Women’s lacrosse is 2-8, 1-4 in Liberty League play. Currently leading the team
in goals is sophomore Lauren Basil with 16, followed by freshman Elisabeth Watson
with 13. The team recently battled Liberty League rival RIT to double overtime, where
freshman Cassie Mahar had a career-high five goals in the game. Unfortunately, RIT
scored with 33 seconds left to lead the game, but Rochester battled during the tough
game with several lead changes.

The men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams are continuing to
experience success. The women’s team most recently placed 3rd of 13 at the University
of Rochester Alumni Invitational. The men’s squad finished second at the same meet.

The men’s golf team placed second of 15 teams last weekend in the Hershey Cup, hosted
in Pennsylvania. Junior Nick Palladino finished third overall on the weekend.

The men’s tennis team is 12-6. On Wednesday they enjoyed six straight set wins
to beat RIT 9-0. Freshman Matthew Levine earned his 20th singles win of the season,
and he is 20-6 overall.

The women’s tennis team is 8-4, coming off of a 2-0 weekend
where they beat NYU and Stevens Institute of Technology. UR has several impressive
doubles teams, who all won in their matches against Stevents Institute doubles squads.

This weekend
  • Baseball has home double headers on both Saturday and Sunday.On Saturday, 

they play at 1:00pm and 3:00pm against Skidmore, and Sunday they play at

12:00pm and 2:30pm, also against Skidmore.

• Women’s lacrosse plays at 4:00pm on Friday at SUNY Geneseo. 

• Men’s and women’s tennis have matches on Saturday at 2:00pm and 10:00am , respectively, at home against St. Lawrence. 

• Softball and golf are away for the weekend, and both track and field squads are participating in the Roberts
          Wesleyan College Invitational. Go Yellowjackets!
Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.