This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

What’s your position(s) on the team?
Literally, my position is 1st base. In a less literal sense my position on the team is just like everyone else’s, to be a teammate – provide support, help, leadership, and I like to bring the funny too!

What do you do outside of softball?
Outside of softball, I work at the Goergen Athletic Center and other than that I like to listen to music and draw. 

What’s your major?
I’m a Studio Arts major and looking to being a double major next year with our new Digital Media Studies program that will be starting in the fall.

You attended Greece Athena, was being local a reason for attending Rochester and how did softball play into your decision?
Being local really didn’t play a factor in my decision.  mMy true aim in high school was to get out of Rochester actually! But especially in my second year here when I’ve settled into the whole college deal, I am seeing the benefits of being close to my family and friends who are still back home in Greece. They’re my roots and always keep me in check, they keep me being me. My decision to attend Rochester was based on a few different things, the main two I recall are both softball and the open curriculum here seeing as I truly didn’t know what type of major or career path I wanted to pursue last year.

You had an outstanding season last year starting 32 games, what were some of the awards you achieved?
Some of the awards I received were – Liberty League Rookie of the Year, 1st Team All-Liberty League, 1st Team All-UAA and NFCA 1st Team All-Northeast Region, as well as a NCAA Stats Champion in Single-Season Doubles.

Having led the Liberty League in batting average and setting a new Rochester record, did that put pressure on to perform this season? 
I think that going into each season following your first, there will be some of your own shoes to fill all over again, it’s like back to square one. However, I do my best to keep my mentality in the present and just continue to play my game, do my job and keep working hard day on and day off of the field.

After a tough start to the season, the team has gone on a winning streak.  What do you think contributed to the team going on such a great run?
The run has been great and we’re all so amped! I think that while we were down in Florida for the first games of our season we were like a team with training wheels. We had a lot of new faces in the field and up at the plate so it took us some time to mesh in a game setting and cohesively manufacture a win. I think when we got back from Florida we kicked it into gear and we all just started to lean on one another. Communication between players became key – Meghan Hennessy and I are considered the “upperclassmen” of the infield, surrounded by freshmen, so we saw that we needed to be the voices directing the show, which was new considering we were the babies lastseason. However, it is in fact a team cohesiveness we were trying to build, so a few tough losses and it’s enough to kick the leadership out of everyone and onto the field – now we’re all leaders in a certain way and play as one Yellow Jacket on the diamond.

You personally have been having a great year so far, leading the team in homeruns etc… what is your ultimate goal for the team this season?
For this season and for the team, the ultimate goal is to keep on truckin’ through the last few weeks of the season and show up in Liberty Leagues. We’re a young team and the UAA performance we had in Florida has made a lot of teams doubt us, so a Liberty League title and shot at an NCAA bid would just be the underdog proof that we deserve. Everyone loves an underdog victory!  Also, I hear from former players that the NCAAs are an unreal experience, who wouldn’t want that!?

Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.
Hilary Rosenthal is a senior International Relations major and minor in Journalism at the University of Rochester. Hilary recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain and is excited to return to campus. She is a a varsity lacrosse player, Vice President of Panhellenic Conduct, a writer for Athletic Communications and a writer for the Campus Times. She hails from Loudonville, New York and loves skiing, fashion, exploring music, hot yoga, ice cream and fro- yo, traveling, cooking, nail polish and a great book. Although most of her experience is in the political field, she is extremely excited to work on and start a Her Campus branch at the University of Rochester.