Lunar New Year: Four Interesting Holiday Customs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.
Lunar New Year celebrations start on February 8th, and it’s my first time being away from home during the holiday, so I will admit that I’m feeling a bit homesick because of it. It’s the biggest holiday celebrated in Chinese culture, supplemented with important traditions, values, and customs.

The holiday, also referred to as Chinese New Year and Spring Festival, is a time to focus on family and honor ancestors. It lasts around two weeks, with the first day determined based on the lunar calendar. It falls on a different day every year, since the lunar calendar is two days shorter than the typical solar calendar.

Many traditions come with the celebration of the holiday, so here are four of the most unique things about it!

1. Chinese Zodiac
There are twelve animals represented in the Chinese zodiac: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig. Each animal comes with a distinct set of qualities, and every year is represented by the characteristics of one of the animals.

2016 is the Year of the Monkey. People born under this animal are seen as lively, curious, and mischievous. The year itself is believed to be one of the most unlucky years in the calendar, but fingers crossed!

2. Red Envelopes
One of my favorite traditions is the giving of red envelopes by adults to younger family members. These small packets are typically given by married couples and the elderly to children and young, unmarried adults.

The envelopes contain lucky money, and by giving it to others, it symbolizes sending good wishes, happiness, and prosperity for the New Year. It’s also believed that this lucky money will suppress “evil from the children, keep them healthy, and give them a long life.” 

3. Firecrackers
As the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Day, people set off firecrackers, which are meant to scare away a mythical monster named Nian. Nian is said to wreak havoc during the festivities, eating livestock, crops, and people during the holiday. But it’s scared of the color red and loud noises, hence the setting off of red firecrackers.

Though the tradition isn’t practiced in major cities anymore since it’s a safety hazard, it’s still one of the most important traditions of the holiday; it’s meant to bring good luck in the New Year.

4. Reunion Dinner
Family is one of the main focuses during the holiday, and it’s exemplified in Reunion Dinner. On New Year’s Eve, the extended family, with some members traveling long distances, will gather together for a huge feast. It’s a time to renew familial ties and focus on home.

Different traditional dishes are served, such as dumplings and fish. They all symbolize different meanings. Chinese dumplings, referred to as lucky dumplings during this time, are eaten to bring in wealth and prosperity in the New Year. And serving fish represents hope for abundance and surplus at the end of the year.

Lunar New Year is a fun holiday, surrounded by interesting traditions, delicious food, and unique celebrations. Happy New Year to all who celebrate, and may you have a prosperous year!
Emily Zhu

Rochester

Emily is a sophomore at the University of Rochester, planning to major in English Lit. Hailing from New York City, she has an insurmountable love for bagels, and she always has her earphones and a cup of coffee in her hands. She's passionate about Netflix marathons, dyed hair, and intersectionality.