This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

If you are anything like me, you might have mild acne. Ever since my senior year of high school I have consistently had multiple pimples plaguing my face. I’ve tried different acne solutions to no avail. After 5 years of consistent acne that would never fully vanish, I had given up hope of having a blemish-free face.

Then I heard about aloe vera. Of course I had known about aloe vera previously. After all, every summer I would inevitably get a sunburn and then I would dump aloe vera gel on my poor skin everyday until I was healed. Although I knew that aloe vera was good at healing skin, I didn’t realize that it was an amazing moisturizer.

It turns out that aloe vera is chocked full of nutrients! Just a few of these nutrients are protein, calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamins C and E, amino acids, and enzymes. It is no wonder that aloe vera is so good for the skin!

After coming across numerous articles about the benefits of aloe vera, I decided to give it a try. Each night I would wash my face and then put on aloe vera gel all over my face. I would then go to bed and wake up to softer and clearer skin. Not only was my skin softer, but it was also much clearer. Pimples that had risen up during the previous day were smaller than before. Even better, old acne scars that I had had for several months were beginning to disappear! This was the miracle I needed!

My skin looked so much better that I began to use aloe vera during the day and the night. After all, wouldn’t that just speed up the benefits?

A word of caution: although aloe vera can help if used once a day, too much of a good thing is still bad. Just as over-moisturizing can cause an oily face, so can aloe vera. All good things in moderation. I learned that for my specific skin that it is best for me to limit my use to only once each evening. Everyone’s skin is different, so what works for me may not work for you.

After many years it appears that I have found my miracle cure for acne. Oh, and did I mention that it only cost me $4? Lather up!

Elizabeth Pearson is an International Relations major and Italian Studies minor at the University of Rochester.