Five Songs to Get You in the Spirit for Women’s History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

As we continue to celebrate women everywhere this month, I wanted to share with you some songs that make me, as a woman, feel empowered. Despite all the following songs having different themes and meanings, they all serve the same purpose of encouraging and inspiring women. All of these talented artists are women that are known for their uplifting and powerful songs, so keep them in mind this month as well. Listen away and Happy Women’s History Month!

“Who Says” by Selena Gomez & the Scene

Ever since I was a child, I have been completely captivated by this song. Selena Gomez was always my favorite Disney actress and I was obsessed with her (and her shows). To this day I still look up to her, but in a different way. I adore the way she holds herself and the respect she knows she deserves. She shares this empowering attitude with women all over the world through her songs. This song will make you feel like you can do anything, a feeling that I have recognized and loved since I was a little girl listening to this song on repeat on my iPod touch.

“Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce

Just like Beyonce is a staple in the community of inspiring women, “Run the World” is a staple song when it comes to empowering women. When I was putting together this list, I knew there was no way I could leave out this song. Being a trailblazer in the music industry, Beyonce is known as one of the most successful and powerful women in the world, so these lyrics mean a lot coming from her. “Run the World” focuses beyond just strengthening women individually, but it unites us together. It makes me feel as though all the women of the world have my back, and that together we can do anything.

“Woman” by Kesha

Kesha’s lyrics in this song will make you feel like you are on top of the world. When I listen to this song I can’t help but sing along with passion. It’s easy to tell that the lyrics are pure heart, and you can hear it in the power in Kesha’s voice. This song will make you proud to be a woman! 

“Firework” by Katy Perry

Before I compete in races, this song is always a part of my pre-race playlist. It gets me feeling fiery and strong, two perfect feelings to have before a big competition. The uplifting tone of this song will make you feel unstoppable, and you’ll want to sing along with every word. It’s the perfect song to play to have your own mini dance party.

“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson

This is the kind of song you blast with your windows down, screaming with your girls on a summer day. Whether it be moving on from a guy or just recognizing your womanhood, this song will without a doubt put you in a better mood. 

Kira Wiklund

Rochester '23

Sophomore at the University of Rochester