A Cool Girl’s Guide to NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

The city that never sleeps. The Big Apple. Former New Amsterdam.

Whatever you want to call it, New York City is one of the most recognizable places in the world, and also one of the most sought-after in terms of travel destinations. Now that you’re at U of R, the opportunity to make the trip is possibly closer than ever. However, with all the options NYC has to offer, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed with what to visit first. That’s why I’m volunteering to be the online tour guide you never asked for or wanted. You’re welcome.

1. Baohaus 

Baohaus was opened in 2009 by comedian/writer/Vice show host/etc. Eddie Huang and his brother Evan. Since then, Baohaus has been serving innovative takes on Taiwanese-Chinese food, specializing in Gua Bao, and making me cry every time. Come for the food, the love that goes into it, and the sick rap playlists they blast over the speakers. Flames in your ears and flames in your heart.

2. Kinokuniya 

Located conveniently on the Avenue of the Americas (a short walk away from Bryant Park and the famed Empire State Building), Japenese bookstore chain Kinokuniya provides a brief respite from an otherwise bustling city. This multi-floored store has everything from the latest 50 Shades of Grey spin-off to tiny glow-in-the-dark planets you can put in your bathtub. Talk about range, am I right ladies? After you’re done shopping for books or niche household items, be sure to check out the cafe located on their top floor for a nice cooldown and view of the city. What more could you want?

3. Grand Central Station

Is it tourist-y? Yep. Is there anything else like it? Nope. Despite all the constant movement that seems to occur within the walls of the world’s largest railroad station, time seems to slow down the minute I step in here. Check out the aging architecture, the secret Whispering Gallery, or perhaps even utilize the miracle of public transportation. 

4. Whitney Museum of American Art 

New York City has galleries upon galleries. However, for someone new to the city, the Whitney acts as a unique yet accessible experience. Right across from the High Line and along the Hudson River, the Whitney provides a tasteful organization of American art in a way that is both visually exciting and meaningful to the viewer. It also has a student discount and free ticketing if you’re 18 and under, which is also nice.

5. The Bowery Ballroom

If you love music, boy, have I got one for you. Aside from being my favorite place in the entire world, The Bowery Ballroom is a tiny venue located in the Lower East Side, generally known for hosting indie bands/artists and having satisfyingly cheap ticket prices. Cool vibes for days in this place, and a bar (21+ ONLY, people) that artists typically come out to and meet showgoers. If you’re looking for an intimate musical experience and a sneaky excuse to visit to L.E.S., there’s just nowhere better. 

Well, that’s all I’ve got. Now, take your NYC trip by storm, you reasonably-informed butterfly, you. Also don’t talk to strangers on the subway, OKAY. 

Ashley is from Long Island, and loves The Hunger Games to an alarming degree. She likes taking her one-a-day vitamins and having existential crises on her bedroom floor, usually about the inevitable robot alien invasion. She also appreciates the rare opportunity to use third person, and hopes you have a nice day (unless you're a robot, in which case, get away you anatomical fabrication!)