Campus Celebrity: Pedro Pirodez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

You might see him working on his latest art project in Sage or walking around Downtown Rochester taking photos with his Nikon, but wherever you see him, Pedro is always working hard to chase his dreams.

Major: Art and Art History double major

Hometown: Durango, Mexico

Class Year: 2016  

Favorite thing about UofR?: As a humanities major, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want.

Where do you see yourself in ten years?: Getting ready to start my own architecture firm.

What about architecture interests you?: That’s like asking a musician what interests him/her about music. Architecture is how I learn about the world, and how I express myself. I’d be lying if I said something nice like “architecture changes people’s lives” or something like that, because, although I believe it does, most people don’t pay attention to it. So in the end, all I have is this egoistic impulse to create and make real what’s on my mind. All I can do is pursue that passion until the end. My only hope is that I live long enough to explore all there is about architecture. Plus, that’s the sexiest word in the dictionary (second one is architect).

Who is your role model?: I have so-called “personal heroes”; my parents are up there, for their courage, love and teachings; but there are others: Louis Kahn, the best architect ever, Henry David Thoreau, one of the few writers worth reading, and Carl Sagan, a scientist who got me thinking about the world as it is, and not as it was or should be.

Life motto: I think I’m still too young to have such a thing. I still don’t know what the hell is going on.

Favorite building/place in the world: I somehow feel like I still haven’t been to that place. But I’d say my hometown back in Mexico is a top place for me.

Something about you that you want us to know: I blog! Check out my website here: https://architectlikea.wordpress.com/

Franny Pamoukian is a senior at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and Psychology with a minor in Studio Arts. A city girl at heart, she is an active blogger, fashionista and art enthusiast.