Campus Celebrity: Kareem Panton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity can usually be spotted with his cool Raybans on his head or strutting his Sig Rho letters, but the most important accessory he wears is a beaming smile. Kareem Panton is a Senior here at the University of Rochester whose outgoing personality has gained him a reputable reputation as one of Rochester’s most friendliest faces, but unbeknownst to some, he is also one of the most talented. In case you missed the Greek God competition, Kareem busted out some rad moves and WON the competition! Oh not to mention he also got runner up in the MR. U of R competition. #NBD

Read on for details on this stud’s undercover status as not only a star student but also as a performer, an actor, a dancer, and this week’s campus celebrity.

Hometown – Saint Andrew, Jamaica

Birthday- August 17, 1993

Class year- Senior

Major- Neuroscience

Favorite thing about University of Rochester- “The size; There is enough people where I  can meet new people everyday but still bump into people I know in the hallway.”

What do you do on campus?- “I am the Co-president of UR styles (a breakdancing group), Social Chair and Rush Chair of Sigma Beta Rho, I am a part of the Meridian Society, and I am on the intramural basketball team.”

How was the Greek God competition and Mr. UofR?- “It was a lot of fun,  you got to be creative with the costume which should reflect who you are. Some came dressed as Batman and I thought I was done(because who can truly beat Batman). I wore things that defined me – my shades, my black belt from karate, my winter coat (because well it’s Rochester), a cobra stuffed animal, my Jamaican flag, and a handkerchief in my back pocket which my father wore all the time. The Mr. UofR competition was also really fun, that was all about talent so I  danced and edited my own voice into the song that was playing while I danced. I dance at least twice a week anyways, so it was super fun.”

Something people might not know about you-  “I am very sentimental about some things. For example when I give gifts they are usually poems, or meaningful gifts. I am not really big on outlandish things. I value the little things a lot more,  like going out to dinner.”

Favorite college memory- “The day I got inducted into Sigma Beta Rho, within the two hours of being inducted, I was getting emails from Sig Rho brothers all over the US welcoming me and wanting to meet up with me. The fraternity has a very strong regional and national network. I never thought I would get the opportunity to interact with all these people! I had never felt so popular.”

Plans after college- “I applied to some graduate schools in Jamaica. I am looking forward to going back home to the warm weather, whether I go to grad school or spend some time working. I eventually want to come back to America to get a PHD and become a professor.”

Life motto or quote to live by-  “You miss a hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.”

Franny Pamoukian is a senior at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and Psychology with a minor in Studio Arts. A city girl at heart, she is an active blogger, fashionista and art enthusiast.