Campus Celebrity: Emma Moore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Name: Emma Moore

Year: 2016

Major: Psychology and English Literature

Birthday: Sept. 19, 1994

Hometown: Blairstown, NJ

What is your campus involvement? President/Captain of Women’s Squash

Tell me more about your campus involvement: I organize the twice-weekly practices and schedule all competitive matches against other colleges. I’ve been playing squash for many years and have been involved in the women’s program at UR since freshman year. I help teach girls to play if they never have, and try to foster a supportive and inclusive environment regardless of skill level

How did you get involved with these clubs? I played squash in high school and wanted to continue playing for fun in college. I had no idea I would end up running the program!

Can what else do you like to do on your free time? I like to do puzzles and tend to my plants.

Advice to give incoming Freshmen: Step out of your comfort zone; it helps you find your voice.

If you could do one thing over at college what would it be? I wouldn’t take that French class sophomore year, maybe a Spanish class instead.

Funniest or most embarrassing moment at school: Once, during the middle of a squash match, I had to sprint off court and puke in the trash. I hadn’t been feeling well, but decided to play anyway. It was bad as it was, but even worse because everyone else had finished playing, so the crowd was focused solely on my match. I didn’t finish the match, and I think a little part of my dignity died that day.  

Favorite thing about University of Rochester: I love how driven people are. We all joke about being lazy and never getting our work done, but we’re an impressive bunch with a lot of good ideas.

Dream Job: I hope to one day run one of the urban squash programs. I’m passionate about working with underprivileged children, and, if squash can factor into that, all the better.

Life Motto: Live and let live.

Franny Pamoukian is a senior at the University of Rochester double majoring in Business and Psychology with a minor in Studio Arts. A city girl at heart, she is an active blogger, fashionista and art enthusiast.