Ask Ivy&Anastasia: On Scheduling and Significant Others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Q: Do you have any time management tips?

A: Sooooo, as someone who is consistently (yet, fashionably) late to most events, I’m going to compile a list of helpful habits that help me stay organized and prompt. 

1. Create a schedule. I use the Google Calender to enter all of my daily events. You can enter the times, locations, and if you want notifcations/reminders for all your events. It’s SO Helpful! Plus, you can color code all your events :) 

2. Set realistic goals. Life is busy. I know that when I write a to-do list with everything I have to do, I get so overwhelmed that I don’t get any work done. Instead, write small lists. Psychologically, people are more motivated to start smaller tasks because they feel confident they can complete them. If you have a lot to do, segment it up into manageable chunks. Plan out your task so that you can be sure you will finish it on time. It also helps to put the most important tasks first. These strategies are particularly helpful with more unstructured assignments, because you create a timeline of responsibility for yourself so you ensure that you stay on track. You can even reward yourself after you accomplish your lists! 

3. Focus on one task at a time, and stay away from all distractions! This is soooo hard, I know, but believe me, sometimes you have to put youself in a room with just you and your work in order to get it done. Sometimes I dont even tell my friends where I’ll be studying because they’re only a temptation to talk and cause distraction. 

4. Be healthy. Living a healthy lifestyle with lots of fruits, veggies and exercise is a habit that will show benefits in all aspects of your life.  A good sleeping schedule also helps you to be well rested, and will allow you to resist the urge to take a nap during the day. 

5. Know when to say no. FOMO (fear of missing out) can really get to people, but you probably already know that there’s just not enough time in a day to do everything you and your friends want. Allow yourself some time for fun, but make sure work comes first.

Hope this helps!

Xoxo, Anastasia  

Q: Hi, I’m in a committed relationship of over 2 years and things are going great, however sometimes I get nostalgic and look at old pics of my high school sweetheart and feel like I still have some feelings left for him. 

A: Chances are, you might actually have some residual feelings left for him – but thats OK! It’s actually completely normal to still feel a little bit of something for an old flame, even if you’ve moved on totally. With every failed relationship you had, you’re always gonna look back on it and wonder about what if  and what could have been. This happens even for relationships you’re glad ended up not working out in the end. I still catch myself thinking about my ex-boyfriend, and wondering what my life would be like right now if we were still together despite the fact that we might have been the least two compatible people on this planet! 

If you are truly worried that it might be more than simply nostalgia, I have two tips for you:

1. First, take a step back. Calmly examine the way you feel about your current significant other and how you feel when you think about your ex – do you feel more strongly about th ex? Do you catch yourself wanting to call and talk to them, over your current flame? When you think fondly back on the ex, do you catch yourself wishing you were still with them over your significant other? If you answered yes to this, then there definitely is a problem. 

2. If you realize that you may not be completely over your high school sweetheart, you should sit down and talk to your current boyfriend/girlfriend about this. They have the right to know that right now you might not be as fully invested in this relationship as them. It’s not fair to let them sit in the dark on this – it’s their relationship too! 

But remember, you are in no way a bad person for having feelings of nostalgia – it’s an incredibly common phenomenon! 

Much love, 

Ivy