This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Whether you’ve heard of Motives Cosmetics, or you read the title and were simply curious to see what Motives even was, I have some news for you! Motives is a high quality makeup company that I personally have come to love.

I’ll be honest: although I haven’t always been a huge makeup buff, I love talking about it now! I have both a liquid and powder custom blend foundation from Motives as well as several brushes and other products. With my busy college schedule I don’t always prioritize looking good (sleep usually wins) but Motives products are always my go-to whenever I do want to dress up or feel prettier. I also love what the company stands for; through creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship Motives has made it their mission to empower people.  Here are my 8 favorite facts about Motives Cosmetics.

1. La La Anthony & Loren Ridinger

Loren Ridinger is the Creative director and founder of Motives Cosmetics. Loren says that she grew up inspired by her mother and that she “was mesmerized watching her apply it [makeup] and interested how it gave her inner confidence”. This sparked her true passion, and she wanted to share this inner confidence with everyone else via the highest-quality affordable makeup brand. Loren loves helping people, which has prompted her involvement in several charitable causes.

La La Anthony, television and movie star as well as owner of the entertainment company Krossover Productions, has found both fame and success throughout her life. As an entertainer, she has always been involved in fashion and beauty and she fell in love with the quality makeup offered by Motives. La La had a vision to improve  Motives by making more products for women of color, and thus the Motives by La La line was born.  

2. Product brokerage and Internet Marketing Company

Motives Cosmetics was founded in 2008 under their parent company, Market America/shop.com which was founded by Loren and her husband JR Ridinger. They wanted to create something that offers the high end and quality makeup of companies like MAC, Bobbi Brown, and Chanel…only they wanted to offer it at a lower price. This company, as a product brokerage, gives people the opportunity to own their own business and work to attain the lifestyle they have always dreamed of. Loren believed that if you really liked your makeup you would want to share it with everyone you know, and so she wanted to create an opportunity for individuals to sell Motives Cosmetics.

3. Highest quality makeup line

When they advertise as being the highest quality makeup brand available, they truly mean it! Motives goes out of their way to meet women’s needs so that their line doesn’t only look good, but feels good and is good for your skin, too. Their makeup is all botanical based and hypoallergenic. They even reach out to a whole new market of customer by having gluten free products for those with a sensitivity to gluten that often have difficulty finding products. The custom blends are very healthy for skin; the powders are talc free and 100% mineral based (most other products are only 20% mineral based). They also ensure that none of their products are animal tested.

4. Custom blends

Speaking of custom blends…did I mention that they were originally made for burn victims? The blends not only covered up their burns, but soothed the skin as well. These are made with those who have extremely sensitive skin in mind. At a training in New York there was a woman (shown below) with sensitive skin that was brought in, given a custom blend, and asked how it felt. Not only was she pleased because her redness no longer showed, but she was able to see her own true beauty, and she said her skin actually felt better with the makeup on.

Business owners have said that seeing a woman’s face light up after a consultation is their favorite part of the job. Crista Martindale told me that she loves the fact that they are “taking away their self-consciousness about their imperfections,” and that women far too often get hung up on the things they don’t like in themselves, things that honestly nobody else but ourselves even notice! My mom Kim, Motives business owner, says that makeup “is not about other people, it is about making yourself feel good.” This not only sums up her initiative with her business, but the overall message that Motives stands for. 

5. Custom blends for men

Yes! Yet another awesome fact: not only do they have personalized foundations, but they offer them to male clients as well! I’m not sure how many other makeup brands do this, but I think it’s a pretty unique fact and shows that they really try to accommodate for every possible market of people that they can.

6. Makeup and skincare for all skin tones and ages

Motives is widely known and loved for their various anti-aging and skincare products. The model below is 70 years old, can you believe it? She is absolutely gorgeous and a proud user of Motives anti-aging skin care. Now I know what you are all probably thinking, this isn’t really something that many college-aged people are worried about, but my mom assures me that I should care now in order to make it easier to take care of my skin and maintain my beauty longer. But they do have many products available for those who are taking better care of their future self than me!

7. Motives Mavens

The mavens are a group of girls that are basically makeup designers. They create tutorials and makeup designs and then they help to create the various pallets so that it is much easier for women to copy their looks and even find their own creativity. 

8. They don’t pay for advertising

What!? How could a company this big not pay for advertising? It’s actually simple: people try the product, fall in love with it, and share it all on their own. Motives is worn by some of the hottest celebrities and is a favorite brand of many makeup artists, models, and photographers. Motives has also been featured by several bloggers, and magazines such as Vogue and Cosmo. One of the most famous free advertisers is business owner Jennifer Lopez. She was the inspiration behind the Miami Glow bronzer, and she has been a frontrunner in sharing her love for the Motives brand. 

Motives is an amazing brand and I’m proud to say that I use and love it. If you go to the University of Rochester and would love to see some of the product and know more about the company, come to Her Campus Rochester’s event this Friday 4/22 from 5:30-7:30 in the Bridge Lounge. Representatives from Motives will be making custom blends!! For those of you who want more information or want to check out the amazing products I’ve referred to, go to www.motivescosmetics.com and follow them on Instagram @motivescosmetics!

Andreanna Bowers is a junior at the University of Rochester. Most people know her solely as Anna. She is double majoring in Molecular Genetics and Bioethics, on the Pre-Med track. She is from a small farm town in New York where she has played almost every sport available; gymnastics, football, basketball, and baseball to name a few. Andreanna is currently on the UR Track and Field team as a Multi, aka she does a lot. She loves art, hanging out with friends, demolition derbies, and food. She is all too familiar with Netflix binges, regardless of how much work she should be doing.