6 Reasons You Should Apply to Be a Her Campus Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Love reading Her Campus? Curious to know more about what we do? The semester is coming to an end, but there is still plenty of time to get involved! We are always looking for new talent to join our team. If you love to write or have a penchant for marketing or design, read on to find out why you should apply to work with us next semester. 

1. You’ve dreamed of working for a magazine

Being part of our team is essentially like working for a magazine. Don’t worry, the commitment isn’t anywhere near as intense and soul-sucking as in The Devil Wears Prada, but you will gain experience working with an editor, pitching story ideas, conducting interviews, meeting deadlines, and best of all, publishing your work! So if you do decide you want to work for a magazine one day, you’ll be all the more prepared for the experience. 

2. You want to have your voice heard

What’s important to you? Social justice? Fashion? Women’s health? Write about it here! One of the best parts about writing for Her Campus Rochester is having the opportunity to express your ideas and opinions freely. We do have designated sections each with their own guidelines, but within those guidelines you have the freedom to write about what you’re passionate about, and people will read it. 

3. Build a portfolio and gain publicity for your work

Having a portfolio of published work is crucial if you want to pursue a writing career. We have a Social Media Director and Marketing/Publicity Director who work to promote and share articles to encourage people to visit our website. You will also learn how to write for SEO (search engine optimization) so that your work is more likely to appear in an online search. It’s so exciting to see that people are reading what you’ve written; some of our articles have gotten over a thousand views in just a few days!

4. Be more involved on campus and meet people

Because Her Campus Rochester is a publication targeted specifically to the U of R community, we often feature students and faculty, as well as campus news, events and issues. This means from time to time you will need to go to campus events, get in touch with student leaders and organizations and set up interviews. It’s a great way to learn more about our school and start discussions about what’s happening in our community. We also host our own events and giveaways!

5. Gain leadership experience and build your resume 

Her Campus is a widely-read, respected organization that continues to expand globally. Needless to say, it looks pretty awesome on your resume, and many writers go on to work for major publications like Vogue, Marie Claire, Buzzfeed, The Huffington Post, and more. Her Campus Rochester also has an executive board with positions in editing, marketing, social media and events, so there are plenty of opportunities to gain experience in more than just writing.   

6. Be part of a fun, supportive group!

One of the best parts about Her Campus? It’s FUN! We’re a silly, creative, hard-working bunch and we’re passionate about what we do. We share each other’s work and every once in awhile we have team bondings (these often involve coloring). We’re looking for fun, hard-working individuals (you don’t have to be a girl!) to join our team next fall. 

If you are interested in becoming part of Her Campus Rochester, email nikkifox@hercampus.com! HCXO <3

Nikki Fox

Rochester

Nikki Fox is a Film & Media Studies and Spanish double major at the University of Rochester.